Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Martin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
Microbadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Valley of the Kings fanMicrobadge: Golden CamelMicrobadge: Homesteaders fanMicrobadge: Extended Stats user
Greetings!

This thread is to be used for discussion relating to the April 2013 UK Maths Trade.

See also April 2013 UK Maths Trade Wantlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
Microbadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Valley of the Kings fanMicrobadge: Golden CamelMicrobadge: Homesteaders fanMicrobadge: Extended Stats user
Note that shipping for each item should be clearly specified. It should be assumed that (unless otherwise specified in item listings), that the sender will send the items to the recipient's address he/she specifies.

I think it's unacceptable for a sender to use a courier service unless this has been clearly stated in the item listing so that a person interested in the item will know this when he/she puts it on a wantlist. (Some people may not want to be required to go to a shop/depot to pick up an item.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
North Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Science TeacherMicrobadge: Gamer DadMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Drive fanMicrobadge: Bristol Rugby fan
I will pop up and say that MOST games should fit within Collect+ small category (up to 2kg) and can be sent to the recipients door for £3.99 flat rate (which is only 50p or so more than their to store delivery)

so for the difference in cost i dont think going to shop can be justified in any case unless the recipient should wish that as an option (i.e they may be out during the day time)

but that is just my 2p on the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 2013 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: 2014 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: 2015 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: 2016 Silver Supporter
So I'm going to give this a go, but it's my first Math Trade. Lots of the existing 'tutorials' and such are very old (One of them talks about geekmailing your wants to the organizer - sounds horrible).

So, As I understand it the process is as follows:

1. Post the games that I have for trade to the 'April 2013 UK Maths Trade' geeklist
2. Post the games that I would like in the 'April 2013 UK Maths Trade Wantlist' geeklist
3. Do something with JeffyJeff's online tool to match the wants to the trades

I think that this is it - did I miss any key steps in here? (I'm still watching a few videos about the tool to try and understand).

Sorry for the questions, but MathTrades are actually very intimidating for a new person, and I have a real worry that I'm going to get royally stiffed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian B
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is a lemon meringue!
Microbadge: Gaming since 1978Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Cooperative? This is Sparta!Microbadge: Home Brewer
I'm a relative noob to MT too (I've done two) I wouldn't bother with step 2 unless you have spare time and fancy it.

One key thing that some people miss first time is that you need to 'submit' your list at the end of the OLWLG process and you will receive a geekmail back confirming this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barlow
United Kingdom
Frodsham
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Behold the Knights of Luxuria!
Microbadge: I roll twentiesMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Video Game DesignerMicrobadge: Liverpool fan - "You'll Never Walk Alone"
Yeah, the 'want list' Geeklist isn't actually used - it's just to tempt people to put certain games up for trade. And you will only get "royally stiffed" if you make a mistake as it's impossible for someone else to dictate what you trade.

As everyone always says to new traders: check, double-check and triple-check your wants list in the OLWLG before submitting. I have a particular technique to organise things better for me which I'm happy to share if requested. I'm sure there are others who use the wants list like I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy P
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: John's (eldonion) flag counting fanMicrobadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my gamesMicrobadge: I have at least 7,000 logged game plays!Microbadge: I love solo gaming!Microbadge: Component Bagger
I would like to suggest (or request if you like) that anyone not planning to use royal mail should add a line to their items saying which delivery service they plan on using. Collect plus in my area are appalling, and after having one parcel delivered covered in thick black oil don't want to risk them again. Three parcels from them, three failures to meet the terms of their service. I would stress its a local thing, I am aware they can be good in other areas.

I have some items I would like to trade, but without some idea of who is using collect+ I don't want to risk things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
I'm hoping to join in the Math Trade this month and I would prefer to use Collect+ where possible. I will note it in my iteams and will be willing to consider RM or other options depending on the receiver (assuming I end up trading anything).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
Microbadge: X-Files fanMicrobadge: The Beatles fanMicrobadge: Talisman fan - I love playing EvilMicrobadge: Danger Mouse fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fan
Jugular wrote:
I'm hoping to join in the Math Trade this month and I would prefer to use Collect+ where possible. I will note it in my iteams and will be willing to consider RM or other options depending on the receiver (assuming I end up trading anything).
I will be doing likewise, using collect+ but willing to use RM at a push.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Swan
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Here I Stand fanMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: RuneQuest RPG fan
For packages under 1kg Royal Mail are cheaper than Collect+. The saving from using Collect+ really kicks in on the heavier games.

Assuming normal box sizes, it is about.

Up to 1kg: Royal Mail £2.60, Collect+ £3.99
1-2kg: Royal Mail £5.60, Collect+ £3.99
2-5kg: Royal Mail £13.35, Collect+ £4.99

If Collect+ does not work well in your area, Hermes is another alternative, at similar prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shepherd
United Kingdom
Ovington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: BAAAAAAAA!
Dominic Swan wrote:
Assuming normal box sizes, it is about....
The royal mail switched to a "size based" pricing scheme on 2nd april. Now, any package thicker than 8cm will cost a minimum of £5.20 to send (and that's assuming it's under 1kg and you're sending it 2nd class; more than 1kg costs £8+) -- hence all the recent discussion about alternatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fergus
United Kingdom
St.Austell
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Amun-Re fanMicrobadge: Team Fortress 2 fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Petz fan - The poop speaks for itself!Microbadge: Copper File Uploader
MrShep wrote:
Dominic Swan wrote:
Assuming normal box sizes, it is about....
The royal mail switched to a "size based" pricing scheme on 2nd april. Now, any package thicker than 8cm will cost a minimum of £5.20 to send (and that's assuming it's under 1kg and you're sending it 2nd class; more than 1kg costs £8+) -- hence all the recent discussion about alternatives.
I've just tried the Royal Mail price finder and it appears Standard Parcels has gone? or did I not select the right options?

Either way, £8 for second class delivery of a 1.8KG parcel is horrendous. I'm afraid I'll only be using alternatives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fergus
United Kingdom
St.Austell
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Amun-Re fanMicrobadge: Team Fortress 2 fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Petz fan - The poop speaks for itself!Microbadge: Copper File Uploader
Dominic Swan wrote:
For packages under 1kg Royal Mail are cheaper than Collect+. The saving from using Collect+ really kicks in on the heavier games.

Assuming normal box sizes, it is about.

Up to 1kg: Royal Mail £2.60, Collect+ £3.99
1-2kg: Royal Mail £5.60, Collect+ £3.99
2-5kg: Royal Mail £13.35, Collect+ £4.99

If Collect+ does not work well in your area, Hermes is another alternative, at similar prices.
Anyone have any issues sending parcels outside of Collect+ size limits of 50x30x30cm? The size limit would seem to negate the high weight allowances (such as larger games). I was wondering how officious they are on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
North Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Science TeacherMicrobadge: Gamer DadMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Drive fanMicrobadge: Bristol Rugby fan
Its gone..

They have switched to Small, medium and large parcels.
And as has already been said the small option is ridiculously small for most things anyone on here will post.

Collect+ is the most viable option. especially considering the reduction in compensation for loss or damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willy Adam
United Kingdom
Newry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'm Against RacismMicrobadge: AnarchistMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: ExpatriateMicrobadge: Solitaire Gamer
Re. Collect+ sizes, it's all good. I've seen it written as 'approximately' 50x30x30cm max but I've sent several that were larger and it wasn't a problem.

Although I wonder if a massive increase in volumes due to folks turning their backs on RM might cause a tightening of this rule. I hope not!

-edit:
and in another thread, Tony (1000rpm) said that he recently sent a massive two-boxes-taped-together kind of monster parcel and it also went through without problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barlow
United Kingdom
Frodsham
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Behold the Knights of Luxuria!
Microbadge: I roll twentiesMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Video Game DesignerMicrobadge: Liverpool fan - "You'll Never Walk Alone"
rathmourne wrote:
...and in another thread, Tony (1000rpm) said that he recently sent a massive two-boxes-taped-together kind of monster parcel and it also went through without problem.
That was for me, and I am most grateful to him for doing so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin (Hairy) Hatfield
United Kingdom
Little Kingshill
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Wears GlassesMicrobadge: OrdainedMicrobadge: Guild Wars 2 fanMicrobadge: Beard fan
I have a 1000-1200pt Warhammer 40k Sisters of Battle infantry army, mostly unpainted: Off the top of my head, it would be:
Canoness with custom blessed sword and stone base
2 Squads battle sisters, each with a Standard Bearer (possibly 12 models per squad)
1 squad Seraphim (Fast attack jump infantry, modified for use with clear flying bases, supplied)
1 squad Retributors (Heavy Weapons)
(Can't recall the elite squad, must be Canoness retinue)

With a hard Games Workshop army case, Codex and 4th Ed 40k rulebook. (I will probably chuck in a few other bits from a bits box too) Would anybody be interested in this via the maths trade, or shall I take it to eBay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Drive Thru Video Review fanMicrobadge: I dig chick bandsMicrobadge: Musician

Can I just say, that as of right now (14 pages in) there is an unnaturally low amount of Works/LotR/usual dross.. Good job peeps!

Also...
People who list expansions seperately from the main game... Grrr...

zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!
I haven't specified postage on any of the items I have listed it is ok to just include a blanket statement saying I will discuss with the 'winner' of the item if/when it comes up

i.e I am happy to chuck it through royal mail whatever the cost and will happy arrange alterative at winners request

Also how likely it is that if send through courier i will not get items delivered to the door? (I have never used collect+/ myhermes etc before)

Edit:

Also how do people feel about mixed promo offerings as i have several promos which in themselves are not worth listing however if several a lumped together might be worth trading, the risk then being whether the interested party has all the said games?

Thank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!
Quote:
..... Codex and 4th Ed 40k rulebook.
With the current edition being 6th edition this is a little out of date so I would suggest ebay

Good Luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin (Hairy) Hatfield
United Kingdom
Little Kingshill
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Wears GlassesMicrobadge: OrdainedMicrobadge: Guild Wars 2 fanMicrobadge: Beard fan
6th? I knew it was into 5th, but....
Thanks for the advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian B
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Gaming since 1978Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Cooperative? This is Sparta!Microbadge: Home Brewer
exparrot wrote:

i.e I am happy to chuck it through royal mail whatever the cost and will happy arrange alterative at winners request

Also how likely it is that if send through courier i will not get items delivered to the door? (I have never used collect+/ myhermes etc before)
Be careful as costs can be very high with Royal Mail.

My wife runs a crafting business sending 2 or 3 parcels a week and she doesn't rate Royal Mail at all - just this last 2 weeks they have lost 2 parcels.

She thinks Hermes and Collect+ are at least as reliable as RM and far cheaper for larger items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy P
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: John's (eldonion) flag counting fanMicrobadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my gamesMicrobadge: I have at least 7,000 logged game plays!Microbadge: I love solo gaming!Microbadge: Component Bagger
Batz wrote:
exparrot wrote:

Be careful as costs can be very high with Royal Mail.

My wife runs a crafting business sending 2 or 3 parcels a week and she doesn't rate Royal Mail at all - just this last 2 weeks they have lost 2 parcels.

She thinks Hermes and Collect+ are at least as reliable as RM and far cheaper for larger items.
Quality of service for all forms of delivery appear to vary at local level. I know the guy that delivers the Hermes stuff in my area, decent bloke who takes care, he doesn't appear typical though. Trawling through the various delivery threads the overriding details that comes over to me is you need to know what they are like in your own area as it varies so much.

My best success comes with Royal mail and parcel force, but thats largely because I am on first name terms with them and have know them since I was a kid here in Worcester. When the guy delivering asks if he can do mine at a set time so he can call in at his mums (about 60 yards away) for a refresh of his flask of tea, you know its not your average delivery.

Now this is all independent of price of course. But given we are all thinking of costs now things have gone up, the one thing we should have in mind is just because your local delivery guy is good, the one at the other might be truly awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
Microbadge: SpaceCorp fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: On Mars fan
Katielou wrote:
Quality of service for all forms of delivery appear to vary at local level.
Also, I suspect in some areas it doesn't matter what courier you pick, the last bit of the journey to your door will be contracted out to the same person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian B
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Great points.

Katielou wrote:
When the guy delivering asks if he can do mine at a set time so he can call in at his mums (about 60 yards away) for a refresh of his flask of tea, you know its not your average delivery
I love that story!

My wife uses MyHermes so often and it is the same guy each time. It's great because she doesn't even have to take the parcel to be posted. She sets it up online and leaves it in the back garden in the kid's Wendy House and the driver knows where to look. When he is delivering he puts the parcel in the Wendy House too. Uber convenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |