Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: [DECK] [Trace Amount] My OCTGN 2nd Tournament Corp deck: "Killer 7" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Malefact
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that this may be the most beautiful Haas deck I’ve ever built.

THE DECKLIST

“Killer 7”

ID
Haas-Bioroid: Engineering The Future

AGENDA (7)
Executive Retreat x 3
Priority Requisition x 3
Accelerated Beta Test x 1

ASSET (13)
Adonis Campaign x 3
PAD Campaign x 3
Encryption Protocol x 3
Melange Mining Corp x 3
Zaibatsu Loyalty x 1 *

ICE (20)

Neural Katana x 3 ******
Rototurret x 2
Wall of Static x 3
Enigma x 3
Ichi 1.0 x 3
Tollbooth x 3 ******
Wall of Thorns x 2 **
Janus 1.0 x 1

OPERATION (6)

Archived Memories x 3
Hedge Fund x 3

UPGRADE (3)

Ash 2X3ZB9CY x3

Total Cards: 49. Total AP: 20. Total Influence: 15 (9 Jinteki, 6 NBN).

THE CORE CONCEPT

TA HB is the best faction at making money, and can out-economy almost any runner build. So, make as much money as possible – throw out assets and protocols whenever possible and abuse melange while you’re waiting for your agendas to turn up.

Create a huge remote. As soon as you feel that it’s secure, drop and double advance agendas there. Mid-late game, make sure you always have Ash installed. With enough cash on hand, no runner will be able to run your remote server twice.

STRATEGY NOTES

As Orange Devil put it after our first match of the tournament, Ash is the star of this deck. What Ash means in this build is that if you have more money than the runner, you can effectively stop them from stealing your agendas. Furthermore, trashing Ash will cost them at least 3 (more if Protocol is out!) and with 3 copies and 3 Archived Memories, chances are you’re always going to have an Ash on hand to help. Ash is sysop of the huge remote server. Spare copies should normally go on R&D, as that’s where this deck is most vulnerable.

The agenda composition of this deck is designed to a) counter Noise and b) give you time to build up a terrifying economy. Against Noise, defend archives with an ICE or two, and keep a copy of Archived Memories on hand to hoover up any stray agendas. The major problem with this composition is that the variance is high, and if you get choked with 3-4 agendas in the first 10-15 cards, things are going to be tough for you. Losing 6 points from a lucky couple of R&D accesses can be a very demoralising experience. Executive Retreat can be a good way of gaining the extra mulligan you need if your hand is looking clogged. If you get two agendas in your opening hand, I would advise taking a mulligan.

HQ can be a weakness. There is no tag punishment in Killer 7, so Criminals and Credit Denial Anarchs will try and Siphon you for all they’re worth. Don’t be afraid to ice up HQ fiercely against these charlatans – if you can cost them more than 10 to get in, that’s great. Keeping a PAD or Adonis unrezzed can also be a good strategy; if you have a melange in your remote, you can probably recover fairly rapidly, too.

Zaibatsu Loyalty is there to make the runner think twice before coming after your two-advanced card. After all, why spend influence on Zaibatsu if you’re not going to run traps, right? I have found that it worked pleasantly as a psychological deterrent. Zaibatsu Loyalty is p. great, but with the added protection from a Protocol, that 5 + trash cost is really going to hurt.

I like Neural Katana as it really hurts early aggression and lets you swing the pace in your favour. This is what this deck wants to do as early as possible: put the runner on the back foot, make them play catch up, force them to choose between taking care of your assets now and dipping their credit reserves, or letting you build a bank of credits to defend yourself later.

Encryption Protocol speaks for itself.

I ran very few bioroids so as to reduce the danger of being compromised by E3. Janus is splashed in there to brain an unsuspecting runner, and this deck will often have the 15 creds on hand to make it a credible threat.

Wall of Thorns is your go-to for a big barrier if you don’t run Heimdall; the net damage is gravy.

THREATS FROM RUNNERS

As with any Asset-heavy build, Killer 7 tends to suffer considerably against Whizzard. Against the Master Gamer, I like to throw out my PADs for the free credit, and then to let Whizzard waste a click and a bit checking and trashing them. Thankfully, not too many folks play him.

Noise is a big concern. You need to make archives look like a poor prospect and rescue agendas that fall in there by ill chance. Medium is a nasty threat. Your cheap ice isn’t going to do you much good against Anarchs: Yog kills enigma, and Mimic makes Neural Katana trivial; parasite auto-kills Rototurret. Against Crypsis-only builds you’re better off, as you can stack the ice pretty high.

Criminal is always a big concern for HB. Account siphon is going to happen, so be prepared for it; be careful of letting an Early Bank Job into Femme happen if you have an Agenda you really need to advance - but aside from that, just throw your Assets out when you need to (maximising your 1 cred a turn HB power).

I thought vanilla Kate would be a big threat to this deck, but it has, in my experience, consistently been able to out-money her and do what it needed to do. Medium Kate is more of a concern and requires you to overdefend R&D.

VIABILITY POST TRACE AMOUNT

This deck is hurt by the now-popular counters to big ICE – Emergency Shutdown in Criminal, and Femme Fatale w/ test run (+ Dinosaurus) in Shaper builds. The runner also has a better economy now – Personal Workshop, and Underworld Contact, which makes it harder to get control over the game. Late-game corp builds have taken yet a further bashing from the All-Nighter + Doppelganger Big Dig setups, which forces Killer 7 to make riskier plays earlier, or suffer if you have 4 agendas sitting in the bottom ten cards of your deck. So…I can’t really run it anymore, which makes me sad.

Supposing you wanted to bring Killer7 up to speed, I would consider:

- Running Vitruvius instead of ABT as another Noise counter
- Spending influence on upgrades instead of OOF ice, like Red Herrings
- Marked Accounts instead of Melange
- Advanceable ice + Commercialization

Any questions about the deck, let me know. It was quite successful on OCTGN when the agendas didn’t misfire, and helped take me to victory in a tournament in Newcastle. Thanks to bgg user Pemmin for reminding me to post it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turpin
Canada
Falmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post, mirrors my findings at regionals running a very similar deck. Latest runner cards hurt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you prefer Janus to live?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malefact
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Where do you prefer Janus to live?

Good question. If it's early enough in the game, wherever I think it has the best chance of hitting the runner for brain damage. At that point, it's serving as a nasty surprise / future card control, rather than as a money drain. If I can stop the runner holding onto an Infilitration, Maker's Eye, or Stimhack - great. I've killed a few people with it, but only if they've been careless.

If I get it later: whichever server I need to protect the most. Most of the time this is on the remote server (especially as if the Runner's taking Ash into the equation, they can only click through two of the subroutines, supposing they run on their first turn) although against Criminals I think it makes a nice surprise on HQ. If I'm up against an opponent who will target R&D mercilessly, it will probably end up there. At that point, it's the best target for Priority Requisition I have.

...that was in the TA meta, anyway. Now it's much harder to run Janus - Criminals can derez it; Workshoppers can Femme it. Oversight AI helps some, but I think you need to build the deck around the combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Killer 7 is one of my favourite video games. Any relation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malefact
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
u1timo wrote:

...there are 7 agendas in the deck. Plus, I like the game, too :3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hesy
Germany
Bad Iburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Malefact wrote:
u1timo wrote:

...there are 7 agendas in the deck. Plus, I like the game, too :3

I hate you guys for making me pull out my gamecube again :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I assume,Encryption Protocol, Adonis and PADs all go in undefended remotes?

Also, quick thought; but did you ever find yourself defending a remote with Neural Katana, RotoTurret and ICHI wishing you had more stopping power? ... I suppose I have a big heart for some heavy ETR ICE and after a second look today realize some of that is missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Cannon

Florida
msg tools
7 agenda deck is the new hotness. For real.

I started experimenting with one after RDI started running wild and it seriously wastes the runner's time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pompadour wrote:
7 agenda deck is the new hotness. For real.

I started experimenting with one after RDI started running wild and it seriously wastes the runner's time.

I'm not entirely sure if that's true. They can still softlock you out of your own agendas, and if they hit anything they're scoring bigger, so it kinda balances out. IMHO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls