GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,009 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Hexa Sea - [Complete] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Hexa_tiles [+] [View All]
David Abe
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had just read the Player of Games by Ian M Banks, and was considering some deep gaming questions when I stumbled upon this contest on BoardGAmeGeek. Hey, why not enter the contest? I thought to myself. I have always considered ways to make Chess Fun, Risk actually enjoyable and Go a little livelier, and figured this would be a good chance to actually bring myself to try to pull it off in a single game. This post was also inspiring: http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/16100/the-case-for-complex... Hexagons ensued, and this is the result.

Welcome to the Hexa Sea, General.
This land is vital to our Nation. We must hold it at any cost, and remove the enemy's presence. Set a hold in the land of the Hexa Sea, bring forth our Army, and strike deep at the enemy headquarters. Win for us.

Rules book: https://mega.co.nz/#!L0h3TSgL!SmDu6i7vcQ__RMlI0orheBrbyAwH5X...

Mega Folder with every needed file for the Eslimi Edition (the pretty one) including the rules book: https://mega.co.nz/#F!2toAyRKR!S_jQ8y6diCIMoeIUGd0HWQ

Standard Edition Parts Index: http://ideatomik.net/hexa/parts-index/

Genre: Wargame, abstract strategy
Playtime: Around 60 minutes.
List of Components:

45x39cm (17,7x15,3 inches) Board divided in 4 equal parts
Land pieces: 30 Hexas
Runways: 4

Army Pieces (each player)
16 Soldiers
8 Tanks
6 Ships
4 Airplanes
1 Leviathan

36 total pieces on each Army, 72 pieces total.

1 building track with a token for each player Links
: (b&w for ink saving) https://mega.co.nz/#!Opw0WbpK!ZIBtCmUyprVr70RROxVbTi9ns-kdal...
(color version) https://mega.co.nz/#!igQkDbRb!Rw4-_gQ9GouI_5iKU9_nylwOlf0Sfc...

I don't believe in randomness in Wargames. In war, a random circumstance is just another factor to be considered by strategy. There is no good or bad luck, just the ability to maneuver around new conditions. That's why Hexa Sea has a modular map; it enables the player to experience different scenarios with the same tools, thus allowing for great learning in adaptability skills.

The Hexa Sea is a theater of war. Logistics is a big factor while maneuvering your troops. Your Headquarters is your entry point in this theater, therefore all your pieces enter the board through it. Your strategy have to consider leading times between the construction of your pieces and the delivering not only to the war theater, but to the operation you plan to use it in. Sometimes is best to strike light and fast at your adversary; other times, it's best to set a good hold on Land before launching against your adversary's headquarters.

War changes. The Hexa Sea changes. Keep up.

Categories
Best Wargame
Best Large Game
Best Art/Graphic Design (I really like those pieces)
Most Colorblind-Friendly Game (dark and light pieces, simple and clean)

Randomly Asked Questions

Why the Hexas have different colors? Does it mean anything?
Not really. It's just to break the color monotony.

So, do I really need to bring the new pieces through the Headquarters? Can't I just bring them through another Hexa, perhaps one closer to the frontline?
No, you cannot. These pieces are not coming from the side of the board, they are coming from your far away country and the Headquarters is your starting point at the Hexa Sea. Don't cheat the logistics.

How's the learning curve of Hexa Sea?
The first game will give you a good handle of the mechanics and the objective. On your second game, though, with a different map, you'll realize that the pieces mechanics are just half of the game; learning how to use that in different scenarios is the game's real challenge. By the third game you'll be in just for the challenge of new maps, and will have a good handle of the whole game altogether.

How do I assemble it?
Print the board parts and the hexas. I suggest you print everything (the pieces too) in a tougher paper, to avoid warping.

Join the 4 board pieces together in a rectangular shape as you can see on the Manual and the pictures of game; I recommend gluing them over a larger sheet of paper, to avoid moving the base board around during the game.

There are two sets of pieces, the standard and the simplified ones. The Standard set is what you see in the pictures. It takes up a good time on cutting, folding and gluing the pieces, but the result is gorgeous. The simplified set is way quicker to assemble, just cut and fold and do some quick gluing - or just use some tape to hold it together. It doesn't look as good, though.

If you print the Standard or Eslimi set, I'd recommend gluing something heavy at the hexagonal bases, like buttons or coins. My country changed currencies 4 times just in the 90's, so it was easy for me to gather enough old, valueless coins to use on the game. This will give your pieces a much solid handling, as well as avoid knocking them down during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Hexa Sea - [playtesting~almost complete] (needs beta players)
Wow. For such a recent acolyte of BGG, you sure are doing well.

Welcome to the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abe
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you! I guess I just spent a lot of time reading and forgot to post anything laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abe
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, I need some feedback to finish the game (hopefully by Friday).

What needs fine tuning are the numbers: The construction turns, the unit moves per turn, and the max number of units that can be moved per turn.

In the Manual you can see what I had come to believe to be balanced numbers for movement and construction. However, they might make the game too slow at the beginning.

The first ten turns or so of the game are pretty quiet, with the players calling up soldiers and expanding to the nearby Hexas to gain access to more powerful units. At mid-game, though, when the dog fighting starts around the board and you set up your attacks, these numbers balance the speed of the game. If the units move farther and the construction is faster, the board will be crowded in no time and the players will have a hard time maneuvering all their pieces. If the numbers are slower, the game will drag on for hours on little skirmishes (that's how the first versions ran, it wasn't fun).

So, is the current pacing ideal, or should something be modified? Should the player be able to move more units per turn?

Feedback at this time would be really appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abe
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Hexa Sea - [Complete]
[UPDATE]

Ok, I'll admit that the game hasn't been that eye catching. I still plan on doing a wooden board and pieces, so the eye candy would be the natural grains - but for the print and play, it does need some colorful upgrades.

So I took inspiration with Persian tessellations, and voilá:

I'm working on new photos as well, not the grainy dark pic you see on this page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abe
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

It is done! The new, beautified Hexa Sea: Hexa Sea Eslimi Edition!

Inspired by the traditional Persian Art, the Eslimi Edition brings up:

- a new board design;
- helpful marks on the board;
- re-styled Hexas with new colors;
- new pieces designs.

I put all the printable parts plus the Manual on a single Mega folder for convenience, here's the link: https://mega.co.nz/#F!2toAyRKR!S_jQ8y6diCIMoeIUGd0HWQ
]Hexa Sea Folder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abe
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hexa Sea: A gallery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Eloff
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd do well to add 2 building tracks along the sides of the board, rather than use beads. Also I suspect the game would start a bit quiker if both players start with 3 soldier units.
Other than that I'd like to try this game myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abe
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello! Thank you for your input!

The building tracks are a good idea, I'll insert them in the board files tonight.

As for the initial soldiers, it's... complicated
While beta testing, different start modes were tried, from just an extra soldier on HQ to an easy mode start, with each player already controlling 6 hexas (that's actually a terrible idea because it always leads to some heated arguments about where a player can place a controlled hexa).

Your suggestion was about to become an official rule during development, when I got an interesting feedback: those boring first 10 rounds or so, while you build Soldiers to start expanding, actually allowed a player to better visualize a strategy to cross the board. The catch was the Leviathan; the way a player behaves when it's the only piece he's able to move on the board was very telling of his strategy. And indeed, there's a tendency to move the Leviathan around the board paying close attention to what the opposing Leviathan would do, while building the initial soldiers for the first expansion over the Hexas.

I quite liked that outcome myself, it's a sort of scouting phase that brings up more elaborate strategy to the board. But it does give the game some slow first 5 minutes, alright.

Tell you what, if you decide to try Hexa Sea, why don't you play the first game with the 3 starting soldiers, and then try another match with only the HQ soldier and the Leviathan? I'd be very interested on learning the outcome of it

Thank you again for the input!

Update: The building track file is on the Mega folder now, or you can download it straight from here: https://mega.co.nz/#!Opw0WbpK!ZIBtCmUyprVr70RROxVbTi9ns-kdal... (b&w) or
https://mega.co.nz/#!igQkDbRb!Rw4-_gQ9GouI_5iKU9_nylwOlf0Sfc... (color version)

Tomorrow I'll add it to the manual and work on a better written and illustrated version of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abe
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

just and update with the full board with building tracks. My thanks to
Fritz Eloff
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for his ideas to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abe
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

The final rules book is online at the Mega folder. I changed some things to make the game flow faster, with a shorter building track as well. The rules are flexible too, if the players feel like the game speed could be changed, they have all the freedom to do it so.

I'm proud of my work on Hexa Sea. It's the first game I ever designed, and it won the 3rd overall best game on this year's 2 players PnP contest. Thanks again for the folks who appreciated Hexa Sea, and I hope more people play it and come discuss their tactics here o BGG.

My work here is done

...ok there is an expansion coming up, and two 4 players versions of it. I just don't know when to quit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.