Subject: The Fund rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everbody. I will continue to update this first post in the coming months, detailing how all the cash of the Rahdo Runs Through fund collected during the Kickstarter campaign of 2013 is being spent. Total transparency, as promised in the campaign!

Any questions, suggestions, concerns, feedback in general, is as always appreciated!

Funds received from campaign: $3,724.60
Copycat, Guildhall, Seasons, Police Precinct: -123.71
Panasonic TM90 Camera: -289.79
Kingdom Builder Nomads & Wunderland: -39.50
Rialto & Lord of the Rings Dice Builder -124.85
Airfare to Essen Spiel 2013: -230.93
Airfare to Cardboard & Sun: -238.60
Brugge, Terra Mystica, Vinhos, Speicherstadt, -405.96
Il Vecchio, Palaces of Carrara, Sibera Card Game
Drachenschatten, Through the Ages
Arctic Scavengers -54.73
Via Appia & Thebes Card Game -77.19
What's He Building In There (KS) -65.00
Amerigo & It Happens (KS) -80.00
Study in Emerald (KS) -76.34
Forbidden Desert, Quarantine, Targi, Lancaster exp, -191.36
Dominion Guilds, Scripts & Scribes Dice Game,
Star Trek Movie Mini Game
Star Trek Attack Wing & Love Letter -54.20
Oddville, City of Iron & LotR FotR Deckbuilder -118.48
Pathfinder Card Game + Character Add-on Deck -68.57
Belle of the Ball & King of Clubs (KS) -52.00
Abstract Dungeon (KS) -65.00
Microphone -34.23
Games bought @ Essen 2013: Caverna, Prosperity, -1288.67
Bremerhaven, Bruxelles 1893, Francis Drake,
Sansoucci, Atacama, CV, Glastonbury, Spyrium,
Hobbit Strategy Game, Venetia, Yunnan, SOS Titanic,
Ginkgopolis Experts, Roads & Boats, Lewis & Clark,
Palmyra, King & Assassins, Metallum,
Might & Magic heroes + shipping
Games sold @ Essen 2013 566.89
Eldritch Horror, Rockwell, Maua Kea, Downfall -388.27
of Pompeii, Asgard's Chosen, Scoundrels of
Skullport, Russian Railroad
US Game auction minus baggage fees 546.13
Customs fee for Eminent Domain -37.00
RRT EU auction 594.71
Mice & Mystics, Antike Duellum, Limes, Istanbul -313.82
Norderwind, Helios
Customs on Copper County prototype -19.36
Sony CX220 camera -169.35
Gencon 2014 Airfare -1629.27
-----------------------------------------------------------
Current total: 2013 fund more than SPENT!

UPDATE: as of the 2014 KS campaign, I'm now taking a salary for RRT (see here for more), plus providing a salary for someone else, and so continuing to keep this ledger up to date now goes into personal finances (and not surprisingly, Jen isn't too happy about sharing our personal financial details with the wider world, plus I've got a quasi-employee now to think about), so I think the time has come to close out the RRT Fund thread! But, any questions/comments/concerns, as always please post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Big order added for

Brugge, Terra Mystica, Vinhos, Speicherstadt, Il Vecchio, Palaces of Carrara, Sibera Card Game, Drachenschatten

$277.01

edit: +53.34 (they forgot tax... I thought that was too good to be true)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Big order added for

Brugge, Terra Mystica, Vinhos, Speicherstadt, Il Vecchio, Palaces of Carrara, Sibera Card Game, Drachenschatten

$277.01

Just wondering for myself, but is there a cost saving in ordering from the USA? Is it free shipping over a certain value even internationally? And does Malta not have an import tax (I know in the UK if Customs and Excise hold a box, they'll make a charge on anything they deem above £17 or so).

Apologies for the 20 questions, but the monthly game meetup I attend - in picturesque Ely! - was trying to get a group buying thing off the ground and so trying to see how this compares.

I have Brugge from that list sitting waiting to play, so hopefully I can do so before your review! And I really enjoy "Der Speicherstadt" on yucata.de, such an elegant auction mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be significantly more expensive to get them from the states, unfortunately. There would be the potential to be hit by import duty (which doesn't happen from EU countries), plus international shipping costs have exploded at the beginning of this year, apparently

So those two things combined would eliminate the savings gotten from the games being cheaper to begin with, I'd bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
I think it would be significantly more expensive to get them from the states, unfortunately. There would be the potential to be hit by import duty (which doesn't happen from EU countries), plus international shipping costs have exploded at the beginning of this year, apparently

So those two things combined would eliminate the savings gotten from the games being cheaper to begin with, I'd bet.

So now I'm confused, by your initial dollar sign.

Is it that you're buying in Europe, but converting to dollars to keep the accounting here simpler? That would actually make most sense, doh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yup exactly that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
yup exactly that

I really need to remember to think before letting my hands hit the keyboard!

Anyhow, it's late in Malta, are you skiving from your visitors again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just added Arctic Scavenger, as a KS backer reward. Damn, it's expensive to ship stuff to Malta!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more smaller orders & KS stuff: Via Appia, Thebes Card Game, Study in Emerald, Amerigo, It Happens, What's He Building in There
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another big order that my wife is picking up while in the UK and bringing back in a few weeks, so saving a bunch on shipping. Lots of cool stuff!

Forbidden Desert, Quarantine, Targi, Lancaster exp, Dominion Guilds, Scripts & Scribes Dice Game, Star Trek Movie Mini Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been lax in updating recently, but have now updated the list with all the recent games that have been picked up, including Star Trek Attack Wing, Love Letter, Oddville, City of Iron, Lord of the Rings Deckbuilder, Pathfinder, and a few Kickstarter games (Belle of the Ball, King of Clubs, and Abstract Dungeon).

The bad news is that the fund is getting lower, but the good news is I'm trying to sell some of the games that have already been filmed at Essen to put some more capital back into the fund. Also, I've had a few post KS backers donate to the Fund direct through paypal (earning them the normal voting privledges and all that), so that helps a bit too.

But what's even better is that it looks like the Essen trip is going to pay off, as I'm expecting to get a LARGE number of games as review copies picked up at the show, which is awesome. There will be some fees to pay to get them down to Malta, but still, it'll be a HUGE savings. More info as the show approaches...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, final tally is in for Essen!

Made: $566.89 on selling used games

Spent: $1288.67 on a bunch of new games (and this doesn't count the 40 or so titles I picked up as review copies)

Total damage: the fund is down to just over $600 now. So not much cash left, considering how much I have to pay to get games to Malta. But OTOH, I've brought back (if they don't get lost in the mail) around 60 games and expansions!!! (don't have an exact count until all the boxes show up)

So averaging around 3 games covered a week, it should take me around 5 months to runthrough all of these new games! So it looks like the fund will have definitely gotten me through a year of filming, no problem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spending a net ~$700 for ~60 titles sounds like excellent fiscal stewardship.

3 a week for the next 5 months? Crazy! (In a good way, for us, at least. I hope you survive.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of sheer curiosity, how much was shipping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every box was 22 euros IIRC, regardless of how heavy they were. If they'd gone over 10kg, the cost goes up to the next tier, but all the boxes were 7-9kg. So €154 all combined (7 boxes, most of which were filled up with the free 'review copies' of games). But as I discovered afterwards, if I'd put them all in one or two big boxes, the shipping cost would have gone way down - I could have saved €70 or so, I was told. Plus there was the taxi to get to the post office, since there were way too many boxes to take on the train!

NOW they tell me! Ah well, I'll know for next year whistle

That +shipping on the summary also includes bringing games from Malta to Germany as well. Unfortunately, I had to pay excess baggage for that, which IIRC was around €200 or so. So even though I made a lot selling all those games, the baggage fee for bringing them cut into that profit quite a bit!

Anyway, I wrapped all that stuff into one category of 'shipping', and all told it was around €400 or so, which is close to what I'd budgeted actually...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So shipping was almost 50% of the price of the games? Ouch! Can't imagine what it feels like to get 7 boxes of board games in the mail though Can't wait for the reviews!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jamieson
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HokieGeek wrote:
So shipping was almost 50% of the price of the games? Ouch! Can't imagine what it feels like to get 7 boxes of board games in the mail though Can't wait for the reviews!

I got 5 in the mail today, certainly nowhere near as big but it was definitely an interesting site to come home to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Williams
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got excited with just the one box I got yesterday. Terra Mystica. So now back to the Rahdo video to learn how to play. After all, he got me to buy the game in the first place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
Wiesbaden
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as the fund is getting low is there any plans for another KS or something? I would happily pledge more as the amount of joy and help I have gotten from your videos has been invaluable.

Keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My original hope was that the fund would last me a year, and if I can make it till April 2014, it will have done just that. And at 3 games a week, it's going to take me another 4 or 5 months or so just to get through everything I picked up at Essen! So I reckon I'll do another KS around the 1 year anniversary of my last one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
My original hope was that the fund would last me a year, and if I can make it till April 2014, it will have done just that. And at 3 games a week, it's going to take me another 4 or 5 months or so just to get through everything I picked up at Essen! So I reckon I'll do another KS around the 1 year anniversary of my last one :)

Though I like Kickstarter, I'd think you don't need kickstarter anymore right? You can just ask for donations on BGG and disclose how much you got and what you are going to do with it?
I don't know how much Kickstarter takes off the top, but it would a shame to not spend that money on games :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyckyd wrote:
rahdo wrote:
My original hope was that the fund would last me a year, and if I can make it till April 2014, it will have done just that. And at 3 games a week, it's going to take me another 4 or 5 months or so just to get through everything I picked up at Essen! So I reckon I'll do another KS around the 1 year anniversary of my last one :)

Though I like Kickstarter, I'd think you don't need kickstarter anymore right? You can just ask for donations on BGG and disclose how much you got and what you are going to do with it?
I don't know how much Kickstarter takes off the top, but it would a shame to not spend that money on games :)

Come to think of it, I'd rather donate a cut to BGG for providing such an awesome site where we can find all this information on boardgames and where Rahdo can post all his awesome videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
My original hope was that the fund would last me a year, and if I can make it till April 2014, it will have done just that. And at 3 games a week, it's going to take me another 4 or 5 months or so just to get through everything I picked up at Essen! So I reckon I'll do another KS around the 1 year anniversary of my last one

I am sorry I missed your first KS and will pitch in next time via KS, BGG, or whatever... I don't care the format too much though in some ways, it would be easiest to mail you cash... but that doesn't work to well since I doubt USD spend easily in Malta. OTOH, maybe we order something off your "I'd like to review that" list and have it shipped to you there?

Hmm... how best to help?
JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyckyd wrote:
I dunno... Dice Tower used to follow the "make a donation if you like" model, plus actual commercials and sponsorship, and they eventually dropped all of that for yearly Kickstarter fundraising, which, because it's a limited time event, drives a lot of excitement and eyeballs. Plus people are generally more comfortable and confident donating through KS than other means. So if Dice Tower, which is almost 10x bigger than me (I'm at around 6k subscribers on Youtube, they're at 52k), ultimately needed to give in and go KS, I suspect I still might need to too...

Quote:
I don't know how much Kickstarter takes off the top, but it would a shame to not spend that money on games
Very true. IIRC, KS+Amazon takes around 8%, whereas using Paypal for direct donations is around 3%

JuliaZ wrote:
I am sorry I missed your first KS and will pitch in next time via KS, BGG, or whatever... I don't care the format too much though in some ways, it would be easiest to mail you cash...
Well, we'll figure out something next year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think KS gives more exposure, and thus the 8% maybe worthwhile, it's worth the discussion, not sure though. It'd be worth using KS to actually get things managed, and organized maybe simply worth using them. I'm not sure i'd back it via paypal, but i'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |