Subject: Director's Chair rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, you voters, you monsters! The results are in, and Fury of Dracula (Second Edition) is the winner by a nose. Oh my that'll be a tough one... playing for 5 players at once... *gulp*

Results:

4 Fury of Dracula
3 Alien Frontiers + Factions
3 K2
2 Homesteaders
2 Merkator
2 Targi
2 The Gnomes of Zavandor
2 Tournay
2 Walnut Grove
1 Atlantis Rising
1 Claustrophobia + De Profundis
1 Fallen City of Karez
1 Il Vecchio
1 Karnag
1 Lancaster Henry V expansion
1 Ninjato
1 Oddville
1 Rattus
1 Seeland
1 Ticket to Ride: Europe
1 Wunderland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Was it voted to be played as a 5 player game? It should play very well as 2 player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the problem... with FoD, dracula and the 4 hunters are in every game... one person controls drac, the other player controls 4 different characters, each with their own inventory and special abilities and stuff.

It's tough enough to keep track of 4 characters at once normally... doing it while also playing Drac? *double gulp*

still, we shall see what we shall see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide favargiotti
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
That's the problem... with FoD, dracula and the 4 hunters are in every game... one person controls drac, the other player controls 4 different characters, each with their own inventory and special abilities and stuff.

It's tough enough to keep track of 4 characters at once normally... doing it while also playing Drac? *double gulp*

still, we shall see what we shall see

Ah! can't wait for this one! Great game... and it will be fun to watch you playing drac and the investigators!

btw, as I missed your kickstarter, can you geekmail me about any possible donations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manary Corte
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for this one too!

Maybe Jenefer could play Dracula?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Williams
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, lets see Jenefer again. Its become quite a challenge seeing her move about in the background
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everybody, another round of voting is in, from the higher level backers who get to choose which games get bought. As you might expect, this is voting related to which games will be bought at Essen this year with the RRT fund! Woohoo!

Okay, for starters, I've already been contacting a bunch of publishers trying to see if I could get review copies of games that I could pick up at the show, and I've had great success so far. If all goes to plan, I should be collecting Among the Stars: The Ambassadors, Archon: Glory & Machination, Ark & Noah, Asgard, Café Melange, Castaways, Citrus, Coal Baron, Core Worlds + Expansion, Dungeon Petz: Dark Alleys, Florenza: The Card Game, The Glass Road, Going, Going, GONE!, Keyflower: The Farmers, Last Will: Getting Sacked, Le Fantôme de l’Opéra, Madeira, Mount Everest, Nations, New Haven, Pasha, Rampage, Relic Runners, Rogue Agent, Rokoko, Romolo o Remo, Snowdonia Expansions, Space Sheep, Steam Park, Suburbia Inc, Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends, The Outcast Heroes, The Phantom Society, Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar - Tribes & Prophecies and Völuspá: Order of the Gods!!!

As well, these aren't 100% confirmed, but I'm hoping that I'll also be receiving review copies of Edo + Expansion, Eminent Domain, Freedom: The Underground Railroad, Galaxy Trucker: Latest Models, Russian Railroads and Templar: The Secret Treasures!!!

And finally, there's a handful of games that I KNOW I'm going to buy at the show, without a doubt: A Study in Emerald, Amerigo, Caverna: The Cave Farmers, Florenza, Fresco Expansion Modules 8, 9 & 10, King & Assassins, Lewis & Clark, Metallum, Nauticus, Palmyra, Prosperity, and SOS Titanic.

So, after all that, the voters stepped up and decided on a few more games to pick up! They were voting based on the contents of this geeklist I setup: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/163404/rahdo-runs-thro...

and here's the results!

5 Bremerhaven
4 Bruxelles 1893
4 Les Batiesseurs
4 Roads & Boats
3 Glastonbury
3 Might & Magic Heroes
3 Pandemic In the Lab
3 Spyrium
3 The Hobbit Unexpected Journey Boardgame
3 Venetia
3 Yunnan

I cut the threshold at 3 votes minimum, so the following ones didn't make the cut, unfortunately

2 Agora
2 Craftsmen
2 CV
2 Dark Darker Darkest
2 Das Labyrinth des Pharaoh
2 Dungeon Twister Card Game
2 Expedition Northwest Passage
2 Global Mogul
2 Origin
2 Renaissance Man
2 Sultaniya
2 Super Fantasy
2 Veto: The Boardgame
1 Carcassonne South Seas
1 Colonialism
1 Compounded
1 Corto
1 Galapagos
1 Ginkgopolis: The Experts
1 Kashgar: Handler der Seidenstrasse
1 Lords of Waterdeep Scoundrels of Skullport
1 Nehemiah
1 Sanssouci
1 S-Evolution
1 The Capitals
1 The Mushroom Eaters
0 1911 Amundsen vs Scott
0 Blueprints
0 Buccaneer Bones
0 Canalis
0 Concordia
0 Conjurers
0 Continental Express
0 Countdown: Special Ops
0 Der Millionen Coup
0 Dig Mars
0 Koryo
0 Les Bâtisseurs - Moyen-Âge
0 Letnisko
0 Longhorn
0 Mauna Kea
0 Millionenraub
0 Mush! Mush! - Snow Tails 2
0 Packet Row
0 Pentos
0 Railways Express
0 Rattus Expansions
0 Rockwell
0 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
0 The Witches: A Discworld Game

I also asked the voters to do a write-in vote for other titles that the felt should be considered. I told them to write anything in, and we'd see what happened. There were quite a few "interesting" entries, very little overlap, but one game did rise to the top, so I'll be picking it up as well:

3 Francis Drake
2 Sekigahara
1 Artefact
1 Asgard's Chosen
1 Command & Colours
1 Die Macher
1 Dominant Species
1 Duel of Ages 2
1 Exodus: Proxima Centauri
1 Furstenfeld
1 Ghost Stories
1 Hegemonic
1 Julius Caesar
1 Krosmaster Arena
1 Letters from Whitechapel
1 Planet Steam
1 Tanto Cuore
1 Tokaido
1 Tribune
1 Twin Tin Bots
1 Vikings: Warriors of the North
1 War of the Ring

So there ya go... the Essen RRT games list is locked and loaded. This should easily be enough games to keep me busy 'till well into 2014! I'll continue to try to rustle up review copies from publishers, but we're getting to the point where I'm simply getting no responses (and in some cases, flat out rejections) so I reckon they simply don't feel the need to have a runthrough for their products, oddly enough. Ah well, their loss...

AAAAANYWAY, next up I'm going to be sending another vote out to everybody to let you guys help decide priority for which games I should seek out and try to film if at all possible at the show. The list is going to put an emphasis on games that I won't be picking up, because if I've got the game itself, I can film it after the show. There's a lot of games that are in demo only form at Essen, plus a lot of games (see above) that are at the show which I won't be buying, so this'll be your guy's chance to help decide which games do get covered at the show.

That should be going out sometime next week, watch for it!

Edit: oops one person's vote got lost in the shuffle (moved it to the wrong directory) but have found it and added it. However, it wasn't enough to push anything over the top.

Edit2: figured I'd add in the write-ins for posterity...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Good choices! I'm very excited. Glad to see you getting so many review copies, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I still have to figure out how to get them back to Malta though!

I've heard Germany has just about the cheapest parcel post in Europe... if anyone has any experience with this, I'm all ears!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Celerier
Belgium
Koksijde
flag msg tools
De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse me while I pick my jaw back up from the floor. That's between 50 and 60 games and expansions! Amazing!

Bad news for my wallet though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jamieson
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you have also invested in some throat lozenges or some of that yogurt we have seen you eating in other videos before. That is quite an impressive list, I cannot wait for the post Essen videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karthik Setty
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow some great games!

One question though, Francis Drake is minimum 3 players, how do you plan to do a run through of that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I can do a 3p runthrough if I need to - I just pretend to be playing against Jen and someone else. But in FD's case, I think I'll do the runthrough with the very popular 2p variant that some people swear by (apparently it's good like the Brass 2p variant is good). So I think it'll be useful to cover the game and let people see how well it plays 2p!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karthik Setty
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Well, I can do a 3p runthrough if I need to - I just pretend to be playing against Jen and someone else. But in FD's case, I think I'll do the runthrough with the very popular 2p variant that some people swear by (apparently it's good like the Brass 2p variant is good). So I think it'll be useful to cover the game and let people see how well it plays 2p!

I didnt know about the 2 player variant. I love the components of the game and would love to see a 2p variant run through
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay for Spyrium. But I really hope CV gets the votes to get covered on the show. It looks like such a lovely little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ichabod Crane
South Korea
flag msg tools
It was in my write in vote but did not make the cut, and I am not even sure it will be at Essen, but I hope people will help get Asgard's Chosen covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleepow wrote:
It was in my write in vote but did not make the cut, and I am not even sure it will be at Essen, but I hope people will help get Asgard's Chosen covered.

Yes, I would vote for Asgard's Chosen as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear I feel a little bad now for suggesting Francis Drake as after reading various play sessions & run throughs plus various threads on the net coupled with the rules in hand the game feels/sounds a bit .. er .. "dull" to me.

Fickle boardgaming creature that I am my interests have now moved to & fixed firmly on Concordia despite the ugly box. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moocifer wrote:
Oh dear I feel a little bad now for suggesting Francis Drake as after reading various play sessions & run throughs plus various threads on the net coupled with the rules in hand the game feels/sounds a bit .. er .. "dull" to me.

Fickle boardgaming creature that I am my interests have now moved to & fixed firmly on Concordia despite the ugly box. modest

LOOK UPON YOUR WORKS AND DESPAIR!!! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moocifer wrote:

I am sure that I have done far less research than you and I certainly don't have the "rules in hand" but from what I have seen this one has fallen dramatically down on my interest list.

Dull is a good word for it, it just doesn't seem that interesting compared to a lot of other games on the horizon. It seems like a perfectly fine game, but not one I care much about getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another voting update: top requested games for me to give some coverage to at Essen:

17 Panamax
14 Piwne imperium
12 Istanbul
11 Hyperborea
9 Guilds of London
8 Caverna
7 Gnomonia
7 New Dawn
7 D&D&D
7 Praetor
7 Great Museum
6 Zombie 15
6 Expedition Northwest Passage
6 Rockwell

Note, I'm not guaranteeing any of these will get covered (though I do have 2 of them lined up already) but this will be how I prioritize my efforts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Dudley
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If that's the case then I should inform you that 20 people meant to vote for Nations.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rustic wrote:
If that's the case then I should inform you that 20 people meant to vote for Nations.

ninja

Those are from the "available for demo only list", Nations isn't on that list, it's the purchase one I think? So they'd have to be "top kung-fu ninja-geezers" (copyright Billy Bailey in his Rubber Bishops days) to be able to stealth to the top of a different list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, voters have chosen the first post-Essen game for coverage... it should really come as no surprise, I think, since voting was based on the games that I actually brought back on the plane (there's a ton more games on the way via post)

29 Caverna: The Cave Farmers
21 Lewis & Clark
13 Might & Magic Heroes
8 Rokoko
7 Concordia
6 Tzolkin: Tribes & Prophecies
5 Last Will Getting Sacked
5 Prosperity
3 Florenza
2 Citrus
1 Nauticus

So Caverna will be up tomorrow or thursday, depending on how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo - Misery Cave it is :-)

Think this is the first time EVER, that I've actually voted for the game that got voted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [93] |