Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to Spyrium myself. There is always some game that I'm waiting on it seems (though I'm still pretty happy about Navegador and Goa)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Really looking forward to your video on A Study in Emerald! And all the surprises you will give me (and my bank account...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Badioli
Italy
Senigallia
Ancona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Richard! I'm waiting for Yunnan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
badiolik wrote:
Great Richard! I'm waiting for Yunnan!

I'll get there, but it'll be awhile, as I'm prioritizing the review copies donated by publisher first

Plus, I admit I'm nervous about that one, as for 2p, each player has to control 2 seperate player colours. I generally don't care for that, and I'm worried we might not enjoy the game as a result!

Tigrillo wrote:
Really looking forward to your video on A Study in Emerald! And all the surprises you will give me (and my bank account...)

Same is true for Emerald... had to buy that one, so it'll be awhile longer...

attilathejund wrote:
Looking forward to Spyrium myself. There is always some game that I'm waiting on it seems (though I'm still pretty happy about Navegador and Goa)!

And Spyrium (and Prosperity) too... Ystari flat out said that I wasn't big enough to warrant review copies, so I'm in no rush to cover their stuff - I'll eventually get there though, after I get over the sting of the rebuke! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Ystari flat out said that I wasn't big enough to warrant review copies, so I'm in no rush to cover their stuff - I'll eventually get there though, after I get over the sting of the rebuke!

surprise

What?! Sacriledge! I will immediately unfriend, unlike and unrate everything Ystari related.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r b
United States
flag msg tools
rahdo wrote:
And Spyrium (and Prosperity) too... Ystari flat out said that I wasn't big enough to warrant review copies, so I'm in no rush to cover their stuff - I'll eventually get there though, after I get over the sting of the rebuke! :whistle:
Doesn't make any sense to me... if they gave Rahdo a single review copy of game X, they would sell at least a handful more of that game (I would say that even if Rahdo does not particularly like the game himself as he demonstrates how the game plays, and doesn't concentrate on whether he really likes the game or not). Seems like a wise investment to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
royal tenenbaum wrote:
rahdo wrote:
And Spyrium (and Prosperity) too... Ystari flat out said that I wasn't big enough to warrant review copies, so I'm in no rush to cover their stuff - I'll eventually get there though, after I get over the sting of the rebuke! whistle
Doesn't make any sense to me... if they gave Rahdo a single review copy of game X, they would sell at least a handful more of that game (I would say that even if Rahdo does not particularly like the game himself as he demonstrates how the game plays, and doesn't concentrate on whether he really likes the game or not). Seems like a wise investment to me.

Agreed. Obviously those of us who follow Rahdo have a selection bias, but as you say, he tends to demonstrate without letting his personal opinions damper his enthusiasm, usually.

If publishers can provide compensation to volunteers demo-ing their games at conventions, I don't see this being much different (except having a longer shelf life, since these vids will be around for a long time!).

Chalk it up to poor market research for those companies, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
FreedomGunfire wrote:

Yup, that's what it comes down to, I expect. The majority of requests I make to publishers either go unanswered, or I get a reply like the Ystari one ("sorry, we only have so many preview copies to give out, we can't give one to every tom, dick and harry who asks")

Ah well, their loss, and it helps me prioritize things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Celerier
Belgium
Koksijde
flag msg tools
De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Ystari flat out said that I wasn't big enough to warrant review copies, so I'm in no rush to cover their stuff - I'll eventually get there though, after I get over the sting of the rebuke! whistle

Sounds like French arrogance .

For what it's worth, I talked to someone from LudiCreations at Essen when picking up my Kickstarter copies of Byzantio and Gear & Piston and I mentioned it was your Youtube channel that put their games on my radar. He said a lot of board game publishers are very grateful for your video series and how they contribute to the industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Powell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
FreedomGunfire wrote:

Yup, that's what it comes down to, I expect. The majority of requests I make to publishers either go unanswered, or I get a reply like the Ystari one ("sorry, we only have so many preview copies to give out, we can't give one to every tom, dick and harry who asks")

Ah well, their loss, and it helps me prioritize things

Not only is that mis-informed and poor market research, it's down right rude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Beiswenger
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Super excited for Madeira after Joel Eddy's positive comments.

Also, just grabbed The Gnomes of Zavandor for $14 on Amazon based on your recommendation and the wife and I think it's fantastic. Thanks for pointing us to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
powellmark wrote:
Not only is that mis-informed and poor market research, it's down right rude.

For the record, Ystari wasn't rude... on the contrary, they were polite and apologetic. I mean, they're just 3 guys (I think?) so it's not too surprising that they're maybe up on the latest trends in board game media... they're probably doing everything they can to just get their games to show up on shelves, so I don't begrudge them anything for not knowing who I am (I'm careful to avoid the whole "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I **AM**???" vibe)

I suppose it's much more rude when publishers don't even respond at all, which is much more common. At least Ystari took the time out while they were probably very busy prepping for Essen to respond and apologize and explain their position!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Powell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, perhaps I read too much in to the "we can't give it to every Tom, Dick and Harry". Maybe Tom and Harry asked before you?

To me, that seems incredibly dismissive and condescending. As opposed to just "I'm sorry we only have a few media copies available and they are currently spoken for, etc. etc."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
For the record, Ystari wasn't rude... on the contrary, they were polite and apologetic. I mean, they're just 3 guys (I think?) so it's not too surprising that they're maybe up on the latest trends in board game media... they're probably doing everything they can to just get their games to show up on shelves, so I don't begrudge them anything for not knowing who I am (I'm careful to avoid the whole "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I **AM**???" vibe)

I suppose it's much more rude when publishers don't even respond at all, which is much more common. At least Ystari took the time out while they were probably very busy prepping for Essen to respond and apologize and explain their position! :)

Ah okay. Refriending, reliking and rerating everything as we speak. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Powell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyckyd wrote:
rahdo wrote:

I suppose it's much more rude when publishers don't even respond at all, which is much more common. At least Ystari took the time out while they were probably very busy prepping for Essen to respond and apologize and explain their position!

Ah okay. Refriending, reliking and rerating everything as we speak.

Let's not be so hasty. I still have a lit torch and a clean pitchfork. Surely, there is some place to make use of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Celerier
Belgium
Koksijde
flag msg tools
De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
powellmark wrote:

Let's not be so hasty. I still have a lit torch and a clean pitchfork. Surely, there is some place to make use of them.

Ah, there's no justice like angry mob justice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
I'm careful to avoid the whole "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I **AM**???" vibe

Hopefully you include something in your request along the lines of

"I understand that review copies are in short supply, and that you want to allocate copies to where they will have the most impact. My board game review channel, Rahdo Runs Through, has over 5,000 subscribers on youtube. I have an extensive library of existing game reviews having reviewed over 160 games, including your games x, y, and z. I'm active on Board Game Geek and have a fanbase of gamers who watch my reviews on a regular basis."

And include links to your youtube channel and Video Review Geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
powellmark wrote:
Ok, perhaps I read too much in to the "we can't give it to every Tom, Dick and Harry". Maybe Tom and Harry asked before you?

To me, that seems incredibly dismissive and condescending. As opposed to just "I'm sorry we only have a few media copies available and they are currently spoken for, etc. etc."

Well, they were a bit more brusque than that, but I chalk that up to them not being able to reply in French, when they were probably under a lot of pressure. Again, no harm done

Thunkd wrote:
rahdo wrote:
I'm careful to avoid the whole "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I **AM**???" vibe

Hopefully you include something in your request along the lines of

"I understand that review copies are in short supply, and that you want to allocate copies to where they will have the most impact. My board game review channel, Rahdo Runs Through, has over 5,000 subscribers on youtube. I have an extensive library of existing game reviews having reviewed over 160 games, including your games x, y, and z. I'm active on Board Game Geek and have a fanbase of gamers who watch my reviews on a regular basis."

And include links to your youtube channel and Video Review Geeklist.

Yeah, I've got a standard email I send out, that mentions all of that and includes a lot of quotes from other publishers and fans. In the future, I'm probably going to include a link to the "Rahdo Made Me Do It" geeklist too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael König
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gcelerier wrote:
He said a lot of board game publishers are very grateful for your video series and how they contribute to the industry.

I hope more publishers will understand in the future how good Richard's run-throughs really are.
I believe Richard repeatedly said that coming from a video game developing background he knows how devastating bad reviews can be, so he's always trying to show a game as objectively as possible, even if he himself didn't enjoy it that much. And I think he's doing a very good job so far.

The advantage of the run-throughs obviously is that one can see for themselves how a mechanism really works in play as opposed to some reviewer simply giving a rough explanation. Also Richard's enthusiastic nature really helps to project the fun of a game via the video.
When I'm still not interested in a game after one or two views of one of his run-throughs I clearly know that it wouldn't be my cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo's run-throughs are the best thing next to just playing the game yourself, at least for me. It does not hurt that he seems to share a slightly similar taste and is obviously passionate.

At first, his unrehearsed "I think I will do this...no, because then she will do that...how about this...yes, I'll go with this...no, wait...you know what I'm going to do? ... I will do that...yes, I think that's the best choice..." and multiple rules mistakes were a bit off-putting, but after a while, it sort of becomes quirky or endearing...

I know I make rule mistakes when I'm playing, I just have the advantage of being the only that read the rules... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
Rahdo's run-throughs are the best thing next to just playing the game yourself, at least for me. It does not hurt that he seems to share a slightly similar taste and is obviously passionate.

At first, his unrehearsed "I think I will do this...no, because then she will do that...how about this...yes, I'll go with this...no, wait...you know what I'm going to do? ... I will do that...yes, I think that's the best choice..." and multiple rules mistakes were a bit off-putting, but after a while, it sort of becomes quirky or endearing...

I know I make rule mistakes when I'm playing, I just have the advantage of being the only that read the rules... devil

IMO, thats the best part of the video since he's showing some of the different choices available. i would like it even more, were richard to give his rationale behind those choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Beiswenger
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:

Ha - great impression.

Even more endearing when he looks at the board and does this during final thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the bits where he keeps going back and forth on actions! It's little bits like that which get my attention and make me enjoy his video's over mindless explanations that you sometimes get elsewhere.

Never stop being indecisive Richard! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Powell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
okami31 wrote:

IMO, thats the best part of the video since he's showing some of the different choices available. i would like it even more, were richard to give his rationale behind those choices.

Agreed, that unprepared, brain burning, seeing the hamster wheel turning stuff is great. If you take something like Watch It Played (which I also like) I find I prefer Rahdo's. Because those tough choices, when he is struggling is so insanely good at expressing the emotions and feelings the game will provide if you go with it. Watch it Played is so well scripted and produced that it loses much of that and becomes almost sterile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [24] |