Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nils
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
okami31 wrote:
Rahdo's run-throughs are the best thing next to just playing the game yourself, at least for me. It does not hurt that he seems to share a slightly similar taste and is obviously passionate.

At first, his unrehearsed "I think I will do this...no, because then she will do that...how about this...yes, I'll go with this...no, wait...you know what I'm going to do? ... I will do that...yes, I think that's the best choice..." and multiple rules mistakes were a bit off-putting, but after a while, it sort of becomes quirky or endearing...

I know I make rule mistakes when I'm playing, I just have the advantage of being the only that read the rules... devil

IMO, thats the best part of the video since he's showing some of the different choices available. i would like it even more, were richard to give his rationale behind those choices.

This!!! Best part of the runthrough is when Richard says: "Uah, so many choices"

i.e. @ Glass Road
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catchy wrote:
Best part of the runthrough is when Richards says: "Uah, so many choices"
Hahaha! Good impersonation. It's usually quickly followed by "OK, I think I'll stop there. Click on the button for final thoughts in 3... 2... 1..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael König
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
At first, his unrehearsed "I think I will do this...no, because then she will do that...how about this...yes, I'll go with this...no, wait...you know what I'm going to do? ... I will do that...yes, I think that's the best choice..." and multiple rules mistakes were a bit off-putting, but after a while, it sort of becomes quirky or endearing...

First of all, about the rules errors. I also had some thoughts about that after several of Richard's videos and came to the following conclusion:
If I were to play for two players and explain everything at the same time I'd probably make even more errors. With some of the more complex games I'm surprised that Richard manages to follow the rules quite closely.

As for the "thinking aloud" part, just as some posters already said, this is probably the best part about those run-throughs. On one hand it would be boring for Richard to think quietly for several seconds and then perform his turn, and on the other it demonstrates to the viewer that there are several possible options and that the player isn't railroaded by the game.
More entertaining and more information at the same time is certainly a bonus for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Henrique
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Michael. It`s exactly this second thoughts that teach me what to think about the game and how the gameplay works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My definitive Rahdo impression is:

"Oh. Oh. Ooooh."

He does it almost every game. He suddenly sees a move he didn't see before, and boom, there it is.

I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r b
United States
flag msg tools
My favs

"I have the start player marker..." (poor Jen)

and

"... Ok, now back to my turn, back to what I want to do... "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nedry
Japan
Yamashina
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After acquiring a new game I take a solo run at it to familiarize myself with the rules. It is definitely harder to play for two players and can be mentally exhausting. Hats off to you sir for putting in all the hard work and making informative and interesting videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
FreedomGunfire wrote:
Chalk it up to poor market research for those companies, I guess.

Yup, that's what it comes down to, I expect. The majority of requests I make to publishers either go unanswered, or I get a reply like the Ystari one ("sorry, we only have so many preview copies to give out, we can't give one to every tom, dick and harry who asks")

Ah well, their loss, and it helps me prioritize things

Forget about Tom, Dick and Harry, just make sure Richard .... and Joel get a copy of your game if you want game sales .... whistle

Really enjoyed the Rahdo/ eekamouse Madiera final thoughts video.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
pincao wrote:
rahdo wrote:
FreedomGunfire wrote:
Chalk it up to poor market research for those companies, I guess.

Yup, that's what it comes down to, I expect. The majority of requests I make to publishers either go unanswered, or I get a reply like the Ystari one ("sorry, we only have so many preview copies to give out, we can't give one to every tom, dick and harry who asks")

Ah well, their loss, and it helps me prioritize things

Forget about Tom, Dick and Harry, just make sure Richard .... and Joel get a copy of your game if you want game sales .... whistle

Really enjoyed the Rahdo/ eekamouse Madiera final thoughts video.thumbsup

To play devil's advocate here for a minute, publishers get A LOT of requests.

And many "reviewers" carpet bomb publishers with copied & pasted emails. We actually had someone write in their request email that they wanted to review a game by another company!

And, publishers often do not get what they were promised, which is a review of the game. They get things like this:
Quote:
Everyone who has an idea for a game, can take it to a publisher. That's How it was in the old days, and that's How it works nowadays, with the difference being that now there's more choice in how and where to publish the game. When the large publishers are not interested, then maybe a smaller one is. And otherwise one can set up something by oneself for the occasion that can be called 'publisher', where in fact business is operated from the living room as a distribution channel is lacking. But the heart of the matter is that the game is published!

In many cases, it would have been better if the game hadn't been published at all. That's why large publishers make use of editors who take a closer look at the games that are presented to them. But one day a variant of The Game Of Life arrives, and another day a variant on Mensch ärgere Dich Nicht/Parcheesi; for an editor it must feel like searching for the Holy Grail. It most certainly won't be a very uplifting task to over and over again try to keep retained and controlled in the standaard rejection and give it just that personal touch whereby the inventor's feelings are not badly hurt. Many games inventors live an all too isolated life, haven't understood anything about marketing and think their game is the innovative breakthrough for which games land, and the consumer, is waiting.
(It goes on for a while more, about Kickstarter, "playing shop", and comparing the game to Domino, never actually reviewing it.)

So, publishers have a lot to deal with, and while we obviously love Rahdo, many won't have heard of him, especially in Germany, where the majority of the boardgaming community is quite self-contained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
rahdo wrote:
In the future, I'm probably going to include a link to the "Rahdo Made Me Do It" geeklist too

Oh no, so you're going to expose our complete lack of spine now are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Jean
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Geeky Gimp reviews at geekygimp.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, can't wait until Le Fantome! It's on my 10 Games Challenge list, but I haven't played it yet. Excited to see Asgard on the list as well. It's one of the more complicated games I own and haven't gotten it to the table yet because of that.

Keep up the great run-throughs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited to see more about Citrus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought you guys might be interested in this. My hopeful posting schedule for the rest of March (VERY subject to change, however! )

??th - Epic Resort (whenever KS campaign goes live)
??th - Yoink (again, subject to KS campaign launch)
12th - Viticulture: Tuscany
12th - Pay Dirt
13th - The Capitals
14th - Warlock
16th - Targi
18th - Myth
20th - Rockwell
22nd - Steam Park
23rd - Space Sheep
25th - Darkest Night
26th - Hull Breach
29th - Underground Railroad
30th - Roads & Boats
31st - Walnut Grove
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dorota w
Spain
Bilbao
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
double yeeey for Targi and Darkest Night, so excited - thank you Rahdo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walnut Grove? Just to taunt those that don't already have it, huh? I should pull that one out and play it though...

Really want to see Tuscany. How are you going to handle the expansions? You are supposed to "unlock" them over time... Are you going to play with several/all of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Walnut Grove? Just to taunt those that don't already have it, huh? I should pull that one out and play it though...
High level backer request

Thunkd wrote:
Really want to see Tuscany. How are you going to handle the expansions? You are supposed to "unlock" them over time... Are you going to play with several/all of them?
Going to do the vid with everything turned on (except the arboriculture one, which I covered in the original runthrough)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Thought you guys might be interested in this. My hopeful posting schedule for the rest of March (VERY subject to change, however! )

??th - Epic Resort (whenever KS campaign goes live)
??th - Yoink (again, subject to KS campaign launch)
12th - Viticulture: Tuscany
12th - Pay Dirt
13th - The Capitals
14th - Warlock
16th - Targi
18th - Myth
20th - Rockwell
22nd - Steam Park
23rd - Space Sheep
25th - Darkest Night
26th - Hull Breach
29th - Underground Railroad
30th - Roads & Boats
31st - Walnut Grove

excellent teaser list. hope you continue releasing one every month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
excellent teaser list. hope you continue releasing one every month.

probably not likely. i only had to plan this month out so exactly because Jen is taking off for another 3 weeks in April, so I *had* to get certain games done at certain times. Normally I'm a bit more "as the mood strikes me"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheeler
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to the Roads & Boats run through. It's an amazing game

I've been looking for Walnut Grove for a while. Hopefully copies become more available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill August
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninjato is an awesome game that deserves more love.

You're our only hope, Rahdo-wan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Hayward
Japan
Koto-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really super interested to see your run-throughs of The Capitols, Warlock, Targi, Myth, Darkest Night and of course Roads & Boats!

Warlock looks like a really clever puzzle game that I am wondering whether works well with two or not.

Please let us know how The Capitols compares to the likes of Suburbia as I haven`t invested in a City building sim board game yet.

I have my fingers crossed that Myth isn't another roll to lose dice fest.

But above all else, have a ton of fun recording them all and don`t burn yourself out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pretty sure epic resort goes live on monday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very excited about The Capitals, Targi, Rockwell, Steam Park, & Walnut Grove!
This will be a good Rahdo month!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to see a runthrough for Helios soon. I think the game will be out in 1-3 weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catchy wrote:
Would love to see a runthrough for Helios soon. I think the game will be out in 1-3 weeks.

that's what the request geeklist is for

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/158464/rahdo-runs-thro...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [24] |