Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
356 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: "In-A-Tin" / "Express" Print-and-Play Design Contest - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Designers, welcome to a new challenge!

In following suit with kurthl33t and chansen2794, and running a new contest, the "In-A-Tin" / "Express" Print-and-Play Design Contest! The goal of this contest is to create games that will fit into a volume of a Deciliter OR to create an Express game. Someone once said that you can see farther when you stand on the shoulders of giants, well this is born from kurthl33t and chansen2794's dedication to Print-and-Play and I am proud to say that I am standing on their shoulders.

Dates and Deadlines:
Official Start Date: 1 June 2013
Submission Deadline: 3 August 2013 (Saturday), midnight (according to your own timezone, or according to the BGG timezone, whichever comes second)
Voting Deadline: 31 August 2013

Rules:

1) First and foremost, Don't break any copyright or trademark laws. If it turns out that you have broken copyright or trademark laws with your entry, then your entry will be disqualified.

2) The Deciliter Rule: In-a-Tin entries must have reasonable proof that they will fit into a "tin" or other agreeable container (i.e. bottle) that has a volume no greater than a deciliter (or 100ml)

-OR-

2) The Express Rule: Express entries must be games created from the inspiration of other games, but generally playable in a shorter time frame. The primary mechanism should be changed to something that will expedite the game play (i.e. dice). It is not important to keep the same theme, but it is important not to break any copyright laws.

(You can create a game that abides by both rule #2s.)

3) There are NO other restrictions on theme, mechanics, components, or art.

4) To compete for main prizes the game must not have a playable prototype before the posting of this thread. If your game has a playable prototype prior to this contest, and it hasn't been submitted to any other contests in a "Completed" state then you can compete for the "Best Pre-Contest" Prizes.

Game Design Rules:
(Thank you chansen2794 for most of the content here, though there are some modifications.)

1) Team design work is allowed for this contest. You can have multiple people working on a single game as designers, artists, etc.

2) Designers may submit more than one game to the contest. There is no limit on the number of games entered so you can submit as many as you'd like.

3) Designers may plan on selling their game when the contest is done, so long as it is available free of charge as PNP during the the contest.

4) Designers may release their game under any license they deem appropriate. This can include full Copyright Protection, a Creative Commons license, or release into the Public Domain. The only requirement for the contest is (obviously) that anyone should be able to print their own copies for personal use.

Submission Guidelines:

To submit your game to the contest: (Thank you kurthl33t for most of the content here, though there are some modifications.)

1) Create a Work-in-Progress or WIP thread in the Board Game Design forum. (Note: I realize that not everyone will read the rules closely and that some of you will post your WIP in the Design Contest forum. This will not disqualify your submission. However, more people frequent the Design forum versus the Contest forum; you will receive more traffic and feedback if you post in the Design forum.)

2) Include both in the title and the first post of the WIP thread, the state of your design: a) Brainstorming, b) Prototype Generation, c) Playtesting, or d) Completed or Contest Ready (or some reasonable derivative of this list, where I'm not guessing as to the status.)

3) Illustrate which Rule - Deciliter / Express you are complying with in the title of your WIP thread and the first post of it. Again you can comply with both.

4) Include a link to this contest thread in the first post of WIP thread.

5) Create a new Item in the "In-A-Tin" / "Express" Print-and-Play Design Contest - Contestants GeekList, following the example shown in the List. (The Geeklist entry should have a link to your WIP thread.)

6) You may post a link to your WIP thread in this thread.

7) Please keep discussions of specific games in their respective threads, and discussions of the contest or other general topics in this thread.

8) As the game is developed, put the file link(s) to the game in both the first post of your WIP, and in your Contest Geeklist entry.

9) When your game is Completed or Contest Ready post to the Contest Submission Geeklist -- 2013 "In-A-Tin" / "Express" Print-and-Play Design Contest - Final Submission List. I will create this Geeklist about a week before the Submission Deadline. If your entry doesn't make it into that Geeklist, then it won't be considered submitted. There will be an example of how to post the submission in that Geeklist when it's created (but it won't be too different from the WIP Geeklist.)

NOTE: Your game does not need to be in a Completed phase by the end of the submission deadline in order to qualify. We can judge your game based on the latest prototype. Just send me a GeekMail and I will mark the game as such. Of course, incomplete games are not likely to get voted as highly as finished and polished games. On the other hand, some games are never really "complete," simply abandoned.

Voting Procedure:
The voting procedure will be the same from the 2 player print-and-play design contest. Many thanks to kurthl33t for letting me use his format!

Prize Support:
All GeekGold tipped to this post will be applied to the main prize pool. Additionally, I will contribute 15.00 GG to the main prize pool for the best overall game.

Best Overall Game Payout:
1st Place: 1/2 of the prize pool
2nd Place: 1/3 of the prize pool
3rd Place: 1/6 of the prize pool

There are several sub-categories for prizes. All GeekGold tipped to the categories' respective posts below will be given to the winners in the same 1/2, 1/3, 1/6 split.

Current Main-Prize Pool: 169

(Where's geekstarter when you need it )

The Results:
Note: The results are in "reverse order" meaning I will show who won 3rd place first, then 2nd place, and then 1st place.

Best Overall Game

d10-3 Third Place d10-3
Breath by Shalom Craimer
The Cottonwood Contest: Cousins by Carol LaGrow
Emissary by Oliver Kiley
It's a Dice Game, After All! by Gene Moore
LightSpeed by Tanner Griffin
Mille Bornes Express by Alaxandre Grenier
The Zombie Horde Approaches! by Konrad Anft

d10-2 Second Place d10-2
The Grand Flix by Jeremy Peet

d10-1 First Place d10-1
7 Dice Wonders by Konrad Anft

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best "In-A-Tin" Game

d10-3 Third Place d10-3

d10-2 Second Place d10-2

d10-1 First Place d10-1

Tips to this post will be applied to the winners of this category in a 1/2, 1/3, 1/6 split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Express Game

d10-3 Third Place d10-3
Emissary by Oliver Kiley

d10-2 Second Place d10-2

d10-1 First Place d10-1

Tips to this post will be applied to the winners of this category in a 1/2, 1/3, 1/6 split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best New Mechanic

d10-3 Third Place d10-3
Hand To Hand by Chris Fee

d10-1 First Place d10-1
Bionic: Nano Edition by Jessey Wright
Clanwars by Jessey Wright

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best 2-Player Game

d10-3 Third Place d10-3

d10-1 First Place d10-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best War Game

d10-3 Third Place d10-3
Sky Duel 1945 by 8Rad

d10-1 First Place d10-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Co-op Game

d10-2 Second Place d10-2
Ten Pin in a Tin by John "Omega" Williams

d10-1 First Place d10-1
Roma Celer by Paolo Pellegri

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Express Game that fits In-A-Tin

d10-3 Third Place d10-3
Breath by Shalom Craimer
Mille Bornes Express by Alaxandre Grenier

d10-2 Second Place d10-2
Throne Maker by Peter Gray

d10-1 First Place d10-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Solitaire Game

d10-3 Third Place d10-3

d10-2 Second Place d10-2

d10-1 First Place d10-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Expansion for an Existing Game

Best Expansion for an Existing Game had no entries and the GG donated was given back to their owners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best innovative use of the deciliter, or less, container (i.e. tin/bottle) as part of the game design

d10-2 Second Place d10-2

d10-1 First Place d10-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best New Designer

d10-3 Third Place d10-3
Daniel Isom with A War of Suits

d10-2 Second Place d10-2
Shalom Craimer with Breath

d10-1 First Place d10-1
Peter Gray with Throne Maker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game with the Best Cover/Label Art

d10-3 Third Place d10-3
Throne Maker by Peter Gray

d10-2 Second Place d10-2

d10-1 First Place d10-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Abstract Game

d10-2 Second Place d10-2

d10-1 First Place d10-1
Emissary by Oliver Kiley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Tile Laying Game

d10-3 Third Place d10-3
Emissary by Oliver Kiley

d10-2 Second Place d10-2

d10-1 First Place d10-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Worker Placement Game

d10-2 Second Place d10-2
Breath by Shalom Craimer

d10-1 First Place d10-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Original Game

d10-2 Second Place d10-2
Hand To Hand by Chris Fee

d10-1 First Place d10-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Artwork

d10-3 Third Place d10-3

d10-2 Second Place d10-2

d10-1 First Place d10-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Written Rules

d10-3 Third Place d10-3

d10-1 First Place d10-1
Emissary by Oliver Kiley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Pre-Contest Game

d10-2 Second Place d10-2
Predator in my Pocket by Andrew Hagen

d10-1 First Place d10-1
Space Marvels 6 Express by Todd Sanders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a pre-contest game I think I can clean up and fit in a tin. I have a couple of express ideas I've been toying with too. The down side is my next  few weeks are pretty full, so we''ll see if I can do them. Looking forward to gaming goodness in August!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been toying with an idea and sounds like it both fits in a tin and uses dice. Deadlines for submissions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With regards to the express part of the contest, if I do an express version of a game, but change the setting to avoid copyright issues, do you think it would still be considered "express?" More details about what I mean can be found in this post:
WIP-Freakball Team Manager, an express game for the "In a Tin/Express Game Design Contest"- Contest Ready
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fur94 wrote:
With regards to the express part of the contest, if I do an express version of a game, but change the setting to avoid copyright issues, do you think it would still be considered "express?" More details about what I mean can be found in this post:
WIP-Freakball Team Manager, an express game for the "In a Tin/Express Game Design Contest"- Contest Ready
It's my understanding that the contest games aren't required to be adaptations of other games. Designers are simply free to use other games for inspiration (without violating copyright). The mechanic and/or size is the important factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting here for those who somehow arent paying attention to the other thread.

Quote:
Came across these this week.

A game called May Day in a dollar store locally for a mere dollar (oddly enough whistle ) The game is well made, nice tin and comes with ten printed dice, perfect for stickering. The tin is larger than an altoids tin and can hold a standard playing card too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] |