Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
356 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 

BGG» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: "In-A-Tin" / "Express" Print-and-Play Design Contest - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! I just had a burst of inspiration for this contest. I'll have to throw together a prototype to see if it works, but... it could be really good!

Excitement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noticed and skimmed through that other thread just now. Still don't understand why two unrelated contests are combined into one, but I guess it doesn't hurt anyone either... but where did the "express" part come from? Did this contest come from some third thread hidden deeper in the forums?

Anyone thinking of trying to squeeze a proper wargame into a 1 dl container I might have some GG to donate.

Can the container be of any shape that could hold 1 dl, even a theoretical non-existing container, or does it have to match some existing actual tin shape? Because there are not that many tins like the ones shown in the other thread around here, and I don't know if there are any close enough to 1 dl in volume.

A bonus prize should go to someone that can make the biggest game that is still shown to be practically possible to squeeze into a 1 dl can, even if it means printing on the thinnest available printer paper and folding in some creative ways. Measuring (2d) printed game size in volume instead of area opens up so many possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:

Anyone thinking of trying to squeeze a proper wargame into a 1 dl container I might have some GG to donate.
What's a proper wargame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Candi wrote:
pelni wrote:

What's a proper wargame?
One which is polite and well-bred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Moonleaf wrote:
I have been toying with an idea and sounds like it both fits in a tin and uses dice. Deadlines for submissions?
Dates and Deadlines:
Official Start Date: 1 June 2013
Submission Deadline: 3 August 2013 (Saturday), midnight (according to your own timezone, or according to the BGG timezone, whichever comes second)
Voting Deadline: 31 August 2013
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Posting here for those who somehow arent paying attention to the other thread.

Quote:
Came across these this week.

A game called May Day in a dollar store locally for a mere dollar (oddly enough whistle ) The game is well made, nice tin and comes with ten printed dice, perfect for stickering. The tin is larger than an altoids tin and can hold a standard playing card too.

As long as the volume is under a deciliter you're good to use this tin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fur94 wrote:
With regards to the express part of the contest, if I do an express version of a game, but change the setting to avoid copyright issues, do you think it would still be considered "express?" More details about what I mean can be found in this post:
WIP-Freakball Team Manager, an express game for the "In a Tin/Express Game Design Contest"- Contest Ready
Express uses dice as the vehicle for the primary mechanic.

Look at RoboDerby: Express and Infection Express for some good examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Noticed and skimmed through that other thread just now. Still don't understand why two unrelated contests are combined into one, but I guess it doesn't hurt anyone either... but where did the "express" part come from? Did this contest come from some third thread hidden deeper in the forums?
"In-A-Tin" / "Express" PnP Design Contest - Theory/Viability Phase

I thought it would be creative to make the contest about both instead of one.

pelni wrote:

Can the container be of any shape that could hold 1 dl, even a theoretical non-existing container, or does it have to match some existing actual tin shape? Because there are not that many tins like the ones shown in the other thread around here, and I don't know if there are any close enough to 1 dl in volume.
As long as you can reasonably prove that the game will fit into a 1 deciliter container, it will suffice.

pelni wrote:

A bonus prize should go to someone that can make the biggest game that is still shown to be practically possible to squeeze into a 1 dl can, even if it means printing on the thinnest available printer paper and folding in some creative ways. Measuring (2d) printed game size in volume instead of area opens up so many possibilities.
If you want to donate, I'll make this a category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the spirit of the competition I'm wrapping up, I'll donate some funds to a Best Two-Player Game category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaMullet wrote:
Candi wrote:
pelni wrote:

What's a proper wargame?
One which is polite and well-bred.
Actually, Candi brings up a good question. Zeppelin Strike can probably fit in a 1 deciliter container.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
I agree and its why I am dropping out of the postcard game contest as it went from postcards to postcards AND greeting cards AND popup cards.

But express games can be small. The May Day game I showed as 10 dice in it and a pack of score sheets and the rules. And its not much bigger than an altoids tin. Its the same length, and depth, but 1.4cm wider. Both are not large enough to hold Robo Derby Express tiles, but can hold easily the 12 dice, and could hold the register mats if they were trimmed down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyraziel wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
Posting here for those who somehow arent paying attention to the other thread.

Quote:
Came across these this week.

A game called May Day in a dollar store locally for a mere dollar (oddly enough :whistle: ) The game is well made, nice tin and comes with ten printed dice, perfect for stickering. The tin is larger than an altoids tin and can hold a standard playing card too.

As long as the volume is under a deciliter you're good to use this tin.
1.4 cm wider than a Altoids tin. Otherwise same dimensions.

Whats the volume of an altoids tin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

1.4 cm wider than a Altoids tin. Otherwise same dimensions.

Whats the volume of an altoids tin?
from the middle of the other thread...

Tyraziel wrote:
Ok... so after a bit of research with the Altoids Tin in my hands and a trusty tape measure here's the "tale of the tape" -- (In metric, because quite frankly I don't mind metric and sometimes find it easier to use.)

If the tin did not have rounded corners -
Width = 9cm
Length = 5.6cm
Depth = 1.8cm (lid off)
Volume = 90.72cm^3 (90.72 ml)

(The actual measurement to the "wall of the tin" measured from the outside is 2mm larger than above(9.2cm X 5.8cm X 2cm), so I took out 2mm so "stuff" would fit inside snugly. With the lid on it measures 2.1cm -> 2.2cm)

The tin has rounded corners (obviously) so you have to make due with that. So if you wanted to max out your space for "non rounded" board parts you can either go 9cm X 3.6cm (58.32ml) OR 7.2cm X 5.6cm (72.576ml) and make them fit.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

What are the volumes of the other tins / boxes / bottles you designers want to use? I think I know what the size / volume determination will be (no more than 100ml) but I'd like to see what we have in terms of volumes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope no one minds if I enter a game into my own contest. I've had a cool idea in my head for a while and this gives me a reason to work on it. Obviously I will NOT be eligible for any prizes or awards.

Ok, here's the idea -- "Heroics in a Tin" -- It would be very, very loosely based on other dungeon crawler / exploration games.

The room tiles would range from 2x4 squares to as big as 10x10, some with hallways on all 4 sides, some with hallways on some sides, and some hallway pieces.

Monster Ideas:
Orc
Kobold
Ratkin
Skeleton
Warriors of Darkness - Heavily armored warriors with massive weapons.

Hero Ideas:
Fighter
Sorcerer
Sword Mage
Thief
Wizard

I will try to shoot for a 10 "map" campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyraziel wrote:
I hope no one minds if I enter a game into my own contest. I've had a cool idea in my head for a while and this gives me a reason to work on it. Obviously I will NOT be eligible for any prizes or awards.
I don't see why the contest organizer can't participate. With crowd-voting there isn't a conflict of interest to my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyraziel wrote:

Ok, here's the idea -- "Heroics in a Tin" -- It would be very, very loosely based on other dungeon crawler / exploration games.

The room tiles would range from 2x4 squares to as big as 10x10, some with hallways on all 4 sides, some with hallways on some sides, and some hallway pieces.

Monster Ideas:
Orc
Kobold
Ratkin
Skeleton

Hero Ideas:
Fighter
Sorcerer
Sword Mage
Thief
Wizard

Darn it. You beat me to it. I might as well give you the "unique twist" I was thinking of:

Variable length tiles. Each "tile" is actually a miniature foldable game board. A few tiles will be just a one-piece 2 inch x 3 inch board ... possibly representing corridors. A few tiles will be two-piece: 4 inch x 3 inch, or 2 inch x 6 inch. A few tiles are four-piece -- 4 inch x 6 inch. Like folding game boards, the multi-piece tiles are composed of the basic 2x3 piece held together in a certain way with duct tape; and then the sticker with the map covers it up.

Let me know if you use that idea. Otherwise, I'll push it into my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Mayday is 1.78ml to an Altoids 1.14ml (base) or 1.5 vs .9 (probable)

Less on both if taking into account the rounded corners. hmmmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
Microbadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: I love the stuff that surrounds our avatar, it makes us and BGG unique!Microbadge: My thumb helped make a ziggurat of giving for the Supporter Rummage-O-Rama!Microbadge: 2019 Copper Supporter
Can I enter a game I am also entering in another contest if it fits the format?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my game They Who Were 8 was originally for this contest then i ended up doing it anyways because of the timing. wondering if it would be ok to enter it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

Maybe we should use a more "scientific" measurement. Grab a graduated cylinder. Fill the container in question with water, and then pour the water into the cylinder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

Maybe we should use a more "scientific" measurement. Grab a graduated cylinder. Fill the container in question with water, and then pour the water into the cylinder.
That's actually how I measured some of the tins I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
my game They Who Were 8 was originally for this contest then i ended up doing it anyways because of the timing. wondering if it would be ok to enter it
Yes, you can, but only eligible for the best pre contest award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:
Can I enter a game I am also entering in another contest if it fits the format?
According to my rules --

rules wrote:

4) To compete for main prizes the game must not have a playable prototype before the posting of this thread. If your game has a playable prototype prior to this contest, and it hasn't been submitted to any other contests in a "Completed" state then you can compete for the "Best Pre-Contest" Prizes.
I assume you're referring to the postcard contest? I would say you can submit it, but it would have to be submitted to the "Best Pre-Contest" category as you'll submit it to the other contest in a finished state on the 16th of June.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
Tyraziel wrote:

Monster Ideas:
Orc
Kobold
Ratkin
Skeleton

Hero Ideas:
Fighter
Sorcerer
Sword Mage
Thief
Wizard

Darn it. You beat me to it. I might as well give you the "unique twist" I was thinking of:

Variable length tiles. Each "tile" is actually a miniature foldable game board. A few tiles will be just a one-piece 2 inch x 3 inch board ... possibly representing corridors. A few tiles will be two-piece: 4 inch x 3 inch, or 2 inch x 6 inch. A few tiles are four-piece -- 4 inch x 6 inch. Like folding game boards, the multi-piece tiles are composed of the basic 2x3 piece held together in a certain way with duct tape; and then the sticker with the map covers it up.

Let me know if you use that idea. Otherwise, I'll push it into my game.
Go ahead and make yours too! I was going to try to print mine out on heavier paper to make it less fiddly than "normal paper." I have tons and tons and tons of mini dice to use for components. What were you going to use for components?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify: an express game (a dice game) has no limit on size, right? It just sounds like many people are trying to fit an express game inside a tin, when the rules sound like it can be a tin game OR an express game OR a tin express game.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] |