Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
356 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [15] | 

BGG» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: "In-A-Tin" / "Express" Print-and-Play Design Contest - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
Microbadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Virtuacon '13 - Game MasterMicrobadge: Tron Uprising fan
Germflinger wrote:
One thing I wanted to mention was that in the US it might be difficult to find tins/containers that are labeled in ml or dl. Old tins/containers that will be re-used for the purpose of the contest may not be labeled at all or may only show how many ounces (oz) are contained in the tin.

I found this sight to help convert if needed:

http://www.convertunits.com/from/oz/to/ml

Hopefully I am on the right track with this.

100 ml = 3.38 oz

Does anyone know the rough measurements for a 100ml/3.3 oz rectangular tin?
It was actually your game for the 2 player pnp contest that made me think to switch to a "volume based" constraint, but kept it "in a tin" because I liked the sound of it.

You can also take one of those pyrex measuring cups and fill your tin / bottle of choice with water and then see how many ml it is. Also if you measure in cm the conversion is rather easy to get to ml, since 1 cm^3 = 1 ml.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Year of the TigerMicrobadge: The Sun - our local life-giving starMicrobadge: Keep Calm and Play RPGsMicrobadge: Mark Rothko fanMicrobadge: RPG Design Hobbyist
Very helpful guys, thank you!

Excellent idea for measuring the volume!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: 20 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGG
Tyraziel wrote:
You can also take one of those pyrex measuring cups and fill your tin / bottle of choice with water and then see how many ml it is. Also if you measure in cm the conversion is rather easy to get to ml, since 1 cm^3 = 1 ml.
I recommend you take your game components out first, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
Microbadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: Kingdom Rush fanMicrobadge: Game Artisans of Canada memberMicrobadge: Batman: The Animated Series – Rogues Gallery fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.
I can't decide what to work on, so as usual I put it to the community to decide for me vote! Results as of next Tuesday will pick my project:

Except the first one these are either sequels (Bionic, Nimbles) or refinements (Solar Smiths) of games I have designed (or have been designing in the case of Solar Smiths).

Poll
Which design idea should I pursue (first)?
Dexterity Co-Op, Kung Fu Masters fighting Hoards of Ninja
Bionic In-A-Tin, Paragraph Driven Adventure Game in a Tin
Nimbles: Prison Break, Solo Dexterity Prison Escape Game
Solar Smiths Express, manage your planet resources and support life
      31 answers
Poll created by Candi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: League of Legends: I play SupportMicrobadge: I speak RussianMicrobadge: Seanan McGuire fanMicrobadge: Free Print & Play Game DesignerMicrobadge: Recycling
All of those would be fantastic options, Jessey, but I've got to go with Bionic. It's the juiciest theme and (for a writer/designer like me) the most interesting mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: Kansas City Chiefs fanMicrobadge: Kansas City Chiefs fanMicrobadge: Go Chiefs!Microbadge: I play with green!
kurthl33t wrote:
All of those would be fantastic options, Jessey, but I've got to go with Bionic. It's the juiciest theme and (for a writer/designer like me) the most interesting mechanics.
And anything that includes "paragraph driven" and "in a tin" sounds like a mighty challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
Microbadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: Kingdom Rush fanMicrobadge: Game Artisans of Canada memberMicrobadge: Batman: The Animated Series – Rogues Gallery fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.
lwdgames wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
And anything that includes "paragraph driven" and "in a tin" sounds like a mighty challenge.
I'll be honest, I was hoping to draw attention away from it with the Dexterity games. Alas, so far you folk seem to want me to take on the hardest concept of the lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: League of Legends: I play SupportMicrobadge: I speak RussianMicrobadge: Seanan McGuire fanMicrobadge: Free Print & Play Game DesignerMicrobadge: Recycling
Candi wrote:
lwdgames wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
I'll be honest, I was hoping to draw attention away from it with the Dexterity games. Alas, so far you folk seem to want me to take on the hardest concept of the lot
Hey, game design is an art. You should create the art that YOU want to make, not what your loyal fans want to see from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
kurthl33t wrote:
Candi wrote:
lwdgames wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
Hey, game design is an art. You should create the art that YOU want to make, not what your loyal fans want to see from you.
Indeed! I'm only calling out to public opinion because I can't decide which of these fine ideas to spend my time on (since I can't possible take on all four).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
Microbadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Virtuacon '13 - Game MasterMicrobadge: Tron Uprising fan
kurthl33t wrote:
Candi wrote:
lwdgames wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
Exactly! Now listen to me and make the Kung-fu one! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abe
Brazil
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 2013 Two-Player Print-and-Play Design Contest participantMicrobadge: Kronocell FanMicrobadge: Civilization V fanMicrobadge: Mass Effect fan
huh, I seen to have tied things for Solar Smiths Express - it won me at the title
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fan Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: I Pay it Forward FirstMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.
I'm always running away from paragraph driven games because they are almost impossible to translate but you are not in a "language independent" contest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Year of the TigerMicrobadge: The Sun - our local life-giving starMicrobadge: Keep Calm and Play RPGsMicrobadge: Mark Rothko fanMicrobadge: RPG Design Hobbyist
Tyraziel wrote:

Great, now I'll be competing with the dexterity game design master!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
Germflinger wrote:
Tyraziel wrote:

Great, now I'll be competing with the dexterity game design master!
Hardly a master, just a recent addict with a lucky first break
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Candi wrote:

Hardly a master, just a recent addict with a lucky first break
Well you did a great job on your first lucky break!

Actually It would be cool if we both worked on dexterity games for this contest, it would probably help push the envelope a bit. I would be curious to see where you took a second dexterity on the back of the one you just created.

I've been trying to come up with some new approaches to the dexterity mechanic, so far...nothing ground breaking. I will keep plotting, I may need to re-theme my original idea to make it fit better for the mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: PowerBot Dice fanMicrobadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Meeple Syrup Show fanMicrobadge: 2019 9 Card Nanogame PnP Design Contest participantMicrobadge: Drive Thru Video Review fan
Hey guys I made a mechanic for the tin!!
You shake it up then open to reveal. (Untested)
From gallery of aVoidGames

Depending on the complexity of bottom area + Cubes you could make this have all kinds of results..
Also I just realize this is a hockey layout.

Thinking:
Hockey
You are 5 Blue cubes
Other them has 3 yellow for color blind
One Black Puck
Make requirement rules to prevent piling up cubes to one side.
Spots on the tin that let you roll better dice to shoot on goal, based also on players/foes in that part of the ice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aVoidGames wrote:
Hey guys I made a mechanic for the tin!!...
John. That is a wonderful idea for a hockey game!
It sounds great! Simple, elegant, understandable... everything.
I am a wee bit envious.

Please develop this idea further!

The only downside I can see at the moment is the noise level. I will add padding to my version for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: PowerBot Dice fanMicrobadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Meeple Syrup Show fanMicrobadge: 2019 9 Card Nanogame PnP Design Contest participantMicrobadge: Drive Thru Video Review fan
pidaysock wrote:
aVoidGames wrote:
Hey guys I made a mechanic for the tin!!...
Please develop this idea further!

The only downside I can see at the moment is the noise level. I will add padding to my version for sure.

Just bought a solution for $1 (dollar tree)

Eraser Cubes coming up!

EDIT: Easy to cut but.... Don't ever ask me to cut a diamond. These things will work as cubes but I though I would be able to make dice...
EDIT 2.0: I am getting better at this

Sounds like a leather/felt dice cup... but I got a plastic bottom right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aVoidGames wrote:
Eraser Cubes coming up!
All I used erasers for so far was making small stampers (seals/postmarks... you know what I mean).
I was never able to find such nice colors otherwise I might have gotten that idea earlier.

edit: I just remembered, I once cut some erasers into diamond shapes for marking victory points in a prototype.

And before you ask: The diamond shape was never perfect - I was happy because they looked their part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fan Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: I Pay it Forward FirstMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.
aVoidGames wrote:

Eraser Cubes coming up!
One of the best DIY ideas I've seen so far !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: I don't use microbadges
courtjus wrote:
aVoidGames wrote:

Eraser Cubes coming up!
One of the best DIY ideas I've seen so far !!
I would be concerned about their durability. A few games later and they're all uneven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
slashing wrote:
A few games later and they're all uneven.
Well they are not used for dice, only for cubes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: I don't use microbadges
courtjus wrote:
slashing wrote:
Ahh, I thought they were shaken in the tin and the choice of rubber was to reduce noise during the shaking (randomization).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
slashing wrote:
courtjus wrote:
slashing wrote:
Ahh, I thought they were shaken in the tin and the choice of rubber was to reduce noise during the shaking (randomization).
They are not shuffling enough... I might need to try the Regular tin before giving up. they are altering just a bit but not changing from left to right.

IDEAS:
I might need more colors for opportunities.
Smaller cubes for free movement, bigger box Altiod w/ better corners.

I'll make a WIP and make a game based on the amount of variation.

BTW, the cubes are durable!
EDIT: reminds me of boggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I visited an artists store today - because their website said that they carry tins with exactly the correct size (which I took from here: http://www.adafruit.com/products/97#Technical Details).

So I bought a couple of them (and more stuff... I just couldn't resist) and did a few mock ups for the other fellow designers:

Example 1: 54 Settler sized cards and 5 Meeples.
From gallery of pidaysock

Example 2: 50 (well with stickers they will be a wee bit thicker than professionally printed cards)) DIN A 8 cards.

Also... a small side note (since this contest really got my ideas coming, I started with another game meanwhile... here are its components):

Oh no!

Okay... small components it shall be:

Enough space for cards or tiles. Yay!

A note: Any other "Does it fit?" questions? Geekgold will be much appreciated if so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [15] |