Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
356 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [15] | 

BGG» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: "In-A-Tin" / "Express" Print-and-Play Design Contest - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konrad Anft
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello, again.

For my possible second game, I would like to have Units with attack and defense values.
The theme is pretty obvious when you look at the picture above. And the Flying Unit icon is also something I am incredibly happy with (as it is so wonderfully simplified and recognizable).
But the rest... what to choose, what to change? Other suggestions (via Geekmail, if I am not supposed to hijack this thread so much)?
Poll: Which symbols to take?
Which Attack and Defense Symbols?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Simple (A & D suffice)
18.2% 2
Alien Design (they are just so cuter)
81.8% 9
Voters 11
Which Ground Damage Symbol?
(from top row left to right, then bottom row left to right)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Ground being hit
54.5% 6
Close Combat (cC)
18.2% 2
Kicking Rag Doll
9.1% 1
Knife
36.4% 4
Single Tooth
0.0% 0
Teeth
9.1% 1
Alien Blades
18.2% 2
Voters 11
This poll is now closed.   11 answers
Poll created by pidaysock
Closes: Mon May 20, 2013 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WIP thread ...
Got SkilZ? Street Rap Battle! [(In-a-Tin WIP)]
edit to add

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Bionic In a Tin won the vote so here it is Bionic Nano Edition: Compact Paragraph Driven Adventure Game - Complete

Also, the discussion thread page made clear that Solar Smiths express will not qualify for the contest (it's not an adaption of a published game, but an adaption of an unpublished and unfinished print and play game). I will not forget about it mind you, subscribe to the Solar Smiths thread if you found it interesting.

Finally, I will also be attempting the Dexterity Game, keep on the lookout for a thread to pop up (I just need to sit down with some discs and cubes and road pieces from settlers to see if the core concept is functional).

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
An a different note, I have made a PnP box that is the maximum volume acceptable for this contest.

The lid isn't quite perfect. Print it on heavy cardstock (I used 110lb), cut, score, glue the flaps and go. If you don't glue down 1 flip for the lid (so glue 3) it will fit without deforming the box.

If there is an interest I can tidy up the file, make it easier to build (grey dashed lines for score lines) and fix the lid to fit right.

Also note, if your game fits perfectly in this box it will not fit in an Altoids tin (as such a tin has rounded corners and this one does not). But, if your game fits in an Altoids tin it will fit in this box!

Box File Link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Year of the TigerMicrobadge: The Sun - our local life-giving starMicrobadge: Keep Calm and Play RPGsMicrobadge: Mark Rothko fanMicrobadge: RPG Design Hobbyist
Great idea! I can see how it would be an advantage to have squared edges for more efficient use of the space.

What are the dimensions of the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
Germflinger wrote:

What are the dimensions of the box?
5cm x 10cm x 2 cm, if there is interest I will also make a square one too (7cm x 7cm x 2cm)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide favargiotti
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My idea/entry for the contest:
Sideral Wars

Let me know what you think.

Cheers
Davide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Year of the TigerMicrobadge: The Sun - our local life-giving starMicrobadge: Keep Calm and Play RPGsMicrobadge: Mark Rothko fanMicrobadge: RPG Design Hobbyist
I am considering producing a stand alone expansion for Stop the Germs that I designed for the 2 player PnP contest.

Could this be a legitimate entry for this contest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughts on having a Best Solitaire Game category? I know Jessey is working on one, and I have a to-be-announced solitaire project for this contest, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Thoughts on having a Best Solitaire Game category? I know Jessey is working on one, and I have a to-be-announced solitaire project for this contest, as well.
I second this (as Bionic In-A-Tin will be out-of-tin Solitare )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Germflinger wrote:
I am considering producing a stand alone expansion for Stop the Germs that I designed for the 2 player PnP contest.

Could this be a legitimate entry for this contest?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
I second this (as Bionic In-A-Tin will be out-of-tin Solitare )
Done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the WIP thread for my Revolver Samurai game!
There'll be the one for Express category too, dice-bidding evil genius simulator, code name "Vile Scheme".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bionic In-A-Tin is coming along, and I'm ready to get into writing a game book. Problem is, I don't know which of the three candidate stories to write about. Pop over to the game thread and vote! Voting closes midnight tonight:

Bionic Nano Edition: Compact Paragraph Driven Adventure Game - Complete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
Printing and building it now, but here's a 7x7x2 box (its volume is ~98 milliliters). This is the box I will be using for Bionic:

7x7x2 MiniBox
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyraziel wrote:
Best Written Rules

Tips to this post will be applied to the winners of this category in a 1/2, 1/3, 1/6 split.
Speaking of rules, do they need to be completely contained within the tin as well? Or is it assumed that they can be printed separately to go along with the components in the tin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garbagerunner wrote:
Tyraziel wrote:
Best Written Rules

Tips to this post will be applied to the winners of this category in a 1/2, 1/3, 1/6 split.
Speaking of rules, do they need to be completely contained within the tin as well? Or is it assumed that they can be printed separately to go along with the components in the tin?
It's up to you, but I'd think the voters will give extra points to those that fit everything into the tin.

There is a site, that I can't remember off the top of my head that shows how to take a normal sized piece of paper and fold it into a booklet that will fit in an altoids tin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After much debate and time spent thinking the Express Rule has been changed:

2) The Express Rule: Express entries must be games created from the inspiration of other games, but generally playable in a shorter time frame. The primary mechanism should be changed to something that will expedite the game play (i.e. dice). It is not important to keep the same theme, but it is important not to break any copyright laws.

Any comments are welome on the rule change, however it will be up to the voters to decide if your entry was a good express entry or not.

Also this is a friendly reminder that this contest is *officially* starting very soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Pocketmod is always good for compact rules:

http://pocketmod.com/

Used these quite a bit for bits n pieces, they are really useful. I run a board game making activity at the end of each year at our school and most of the rules we include are Pocketmod format. The new converter is good as it allows you to select the size of paper you are outputting to and to upload a series of PDFs to it. Just got to watch the text size.

They can be good for score pads as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
garbagerunner wrote:
Tyraziel wrote:
Best Written Rules

I say that they should be completely contained, that would be part of the challenge of making an "in-the-tin" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Germflinger wrote:
garbagerunner wrote:
Tyraziel wrote:
Best Written Rules

I say that they should be completely contained, that would be part of the challenge of making an "in-the-tin" game.
That was my goal, but I figured I'd ask anyways
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyraziel wrote:
the Express Rule has been changed
I like new express rule more, though I'll have to reconsider my entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Random_Phobosis wrote:
Tyraziel wrote:
Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyraziel wrote:
Random_Phobosis wrote:
Tyraziel wrote:
Why?
I'll guess that it's because it's not "based on an existing game" or, as the official wording reads, `created from the inspiration of other games'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
Tyraziel wrote:
Random_Phobosis wrote:
Tyraziel wrote:
Why?
I'll guess that it's because it's not "based on an existing game" or, as the official wording reads, `created from the inspiration of other games'
The wording does not exclude "based on an existing game." I purposefully decided to make the scope broader with the wording of choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [15] |