Subject: Canadian starved for gamestores rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Weisner
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Funny, but since moving to Toronto, I have not been able to locate a good store dealing with wargames, esp. older games, out of print items, etc. I am getting tired of ordering my games from California ( DG ). Anyone out there aware of anything in southern Ontario? Buy, sell, or trade old SPI / AH games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toronto doesn't have a store that stocks war games, but there's Bayshore Hobbies in Hamilton and The Comic Warehouse in Brampton. I haven't been to either, but Bayshore is supposed to be excellent, and TCW is supposed to be pretty good.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fung
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
The only store that has a good quantity of wargames that I know of is GameTrek (http://www.gametrek.ca) located in the Royal York hotel. They have games from GMT, Multiman Publishing, DG, etc. But their prices are HIGH. I don't know if they have many old AH or OOP titles though.

Another Canadian source is Stalag17 wargames (http://stalag17wargames). Good service and prices. They're located in Vancouver but you won't have to pay customs as oppose to ordering from California.

If you discover any other sources in southern Ontario, let me know too!

Hopes this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Weisner
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Thanks for the information, Chris. I'll make sure to check them out. It's odd, the store I first bought wargames from was called deBy's Bayshore Hobbies in Peterborough about 30 years ago. Wonder if it is the same...
Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wise_62 wrote:
Funny, but since moving to Toronto, I have not been able to locate a good store dealing with wargames, esp. older games, out of print items, etc. I am getting tired of ordering my games from California ( DG ). Anyone out there aware of anything in southern Ontario? Buy, sell, or trade old SPI / AH games?
Yes GameTrek has the most pure wargames. An entire back wall of them. Their prices are high, though.

You might try joining TABS Online (www.tabsonline.net) and trading with some of the local players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many many many many years ago, Toronto had a great game store on the corner of St. Charles and Yonge Street. No more. For wargames, you can always try http://www.sentrybox.com/ This Calgary store has new and out of print games, too.

The L2 Design Group(The Russian Campaign, Deluxe Bitter Woods...) is located in Toronto, near Jane and Bloor, I think. I don't think they have a storefront, but you can contact them through their website http://www.l2designgroup.com/ They're friendly folk and should know about every store in the country!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Weisner
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Oh oh, looks like I may be doing some more shopping. Thanks for the info, never thought of trading my old S&T mags and games. I should figure out how to do a Geeklist of my collection ( for old BGG'ers ). Just to prove there were some Canadian boardgamers way back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Hey, a couple of online sites I hadn't heard of.

I mostly buy from Bayshore. Problem is, they haven't been doing well
financially and are typically only stocking a couple of copies of war games and those sell out quickly. Their selection is pretty meagre right now (was there Friday).

TCW has mostly euros, hardly any war games. I can't afford Game Trek.

I'd be interested in hearing about other retailers too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also www.levalet.com "Le valet d'coeur" in Montreal, it has some OOP, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Many many many many years ago, Toronto had a great game store on the corner of St. Charles and Yonge Street.
Wasn't that "Mr Gameway's Ark" or something like that? That place was four stories of gaming goodness....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameways! That was it!

They had a small store on Bloor Street that got turned into a restaurant, then they moved to that old bank building on the corner of Charles and Yonge, which I think later got turned into a theatre...or vice versa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Gameways! That was it!

They had a small store on Bloor Street that got turned into a restaurant, then they moved to that old bank building on the corner of Charles and Yonge, which I think later got turned into a theatre...or vice versa...
it is now a starbucks and macdonald's...how the times have changed.

I never knew about the bloor street store, I only remember that old bank building.. my memory is hazy, but I think they had things like Trivial Pursuit and puzzles on the main floor, then avalon hill stuff and board games on the next up, then rpg and role-play on the top floor...there were always D&D sessions going on up there when I was browsing around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Saunders
Canada
flag msg tools
Does anyone else remember 'Gameways Ark's' replica of the 'Enterprise' Bridge from Star Trek original series. way too cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls