Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been meaning to try Skype out with BSW for a while now, but I never know when I'll have time to play. To that end, I'd like for anyone who is interested in online gaming with skype to list thier Skype ID. The idea is that we can add each other to our contact list, and whenever I have time to play I'll load up Skype and see who's online. I'm up for pretty much anything (under 2 hours) on any of the pbem sites or BSW.

My Skype ID is habermanm.

-Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am "mrekted" but I don't keep Skype on all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skype? Color me suddenly feeling out of the loop. Is that an online IM/chat interface like AIM, MSN or Yahoo! Messengers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skype is free internet telephone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's voice over ip. You just need a headset with a microphone. It's free to call between skype users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ynnen wrote:
Skype? Color me suddenly feeling out of the loop. Is that an online IM/chat interface like AIM, MSN or Yahoo! Messengers?

Yes, and more! It's VOIP (Voice Over IP) as well. And right now, computer to computer calls is free (comptuer to phone or phone to computer costs $$ though). Check 'em out at the following URL:

http://www.skype.com

It's a free download too, so nothing to lose except for a wee bit of hard drive space. Hope you have broadband though... dial up is usually too slow for reliable VOIP.

Later!

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on Skype (berserkley). THe biggest problem is coordinating when you'll be online to play. I've frustated Noaceyet more than once because of this!
Also, Skype is free to download, and free to use between Skype users. It only costs money if you call a non Skype user from your computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, seems we all kinda posted at the same time! laugh

Too bad there's no feature to let us know while typing up a response that someone else has posted a response. It would cut down on the duplication... (course I could always just refresh the forum in a new window before hitting the submit button).

laterz...

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultra groovy cool... I'm all set up now... I'm "ynnen1" on Skype since you need a 6 letter username. Nice little tool. And a great way to keep in touch with all my relatives spread out across the country!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ρύπρεχτ
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious: does Skype offer any advantage over voice chat with instant messenger programs (like AIM, ICQ, MSN messenger, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what options or benefits it might provide, but I was surprised how much better the sound quality on Skype was than when using AIM!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this would add a little needed interaction on BSW without so much carpal tunnel risk.

I'm "Sheylon" on BSW and "boardgamebabylon" on Skype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Great. Just what BSW needs - a more convenient way for unscrupulous Tichu partners to secretly tabletalk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir here and in skype, hibiki_r in BSW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
unscrupulous Tichu partners

Don't you think that's kind of redundant? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Maloney
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SkipM624 - here, at BSW, and on Skype. I don't have it on all the time either, but if you catch me on BSW and alert me to your own Skype status, I'd certainly tune in for the non-typing chat of it. SkipM624 in both places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Just installed skype today. Picked the ever so original userid of:

jasonspears

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salamon
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
When did this overtext thing happen? Am I supposed to think of something clever to put here?
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a cool idea.

skype= marksalamon
bsw = ChickMagnet

I'll now be booting up Skype before BSW. See you there.....

mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I've thought for years that voice and video were a natural extension to the online gaming experience, but for some reason it has never caught on. I think part of the problem is that the anonymity of web play is comforting (or conversely, that it's just uncomfortable to share
audio/video with a complete stranger).

In any case, I'm still game to try. I use windows Netmeeting
with great success for other purposes, but yahoo messenger, googletalk
and the like also work.

Contact me, and arrange a rendevous for a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The integrated voice chat in MSN Messenger (or Windows Live Messenger in the near future) has great sound quality. What is the point of messing around with new software that does nothing extra?

If anything, you would want to use something like Ventrillo or Teamspeak, which allows you to chat with multiple people at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Jesper Edmark
Sweden
Hässleholm
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea - I'll put a notice about it in the channel motto of BoardGameGeek channel on BSW when I get the chance.

I'm mordachaicervantes on skype for some reason... I'm Mordachai everywhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.