Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
63 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: FFG's Hidden Spoilers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Inglis
Australia
Springfield Lakes
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was having a bit of a play around and came across a couple of cards from Wave 3.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/news/wa...

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/news/wa...

Enjoy.

21 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work!!!

You can definitely see the synergy of Kyle Katarn with the Recon Specialist and the Moldy Crow title card....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Cocquyt
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice work. Nothing's popped up on my google image searches that usually finds stuff like this. How'd you manage to find them?

Rehosted incase they go missing:

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really interesting. The Fire-Control System, which if memory serves me correctly comes with the B-Wing, doesn't say that it has to be a successful attack, just an attack. You can be at range 3 with your opponent hidden behind an asteroid, make an attack, fail to hit, and then close the distance with them having moved out from behind the asteroid, take a focus as an action and then get a good attack with a target lock automatically established. And what's great about this is that it doesn't cost an action. I like this a lot.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Cocquyt
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmb
it'll also let you get a salvo of torpedoes each turn with a focus or use cluster missiles and get a TL on your second attack.

Combine this with gunner or Weapons Engineer on the Lambda and you start to get some interesting combos.

The recon specialist explains 2 focus tokens, but not the other 4 that comes in the HWK-290 blister.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
This is really interesting. The Fire-Control System, which if memory serves me correctly comes with the B-Wing, doesn't say that it has to be a successful attack, just an attack. You can be at range 3 with your opponent hidden behind an asteroid, make an attack, fail to hit, and then close the distance with them having moved out from behind the asteroid, take a focus as an action and then get a good attack with a target lock automatically established. And what's great about this is that it doesn't cost an action. I like this a lot.

The only downside is the target lock has to go on the defender, so if you're concentrating fire, that ship might be destroyed by the time you could spend the target lock... which might encourage you to fire on a second target rather than concentrating. Also, your opponent will likely try to get the TL'ed ship out of range to negate your TL. But in any case, Fire Control System is like a better R5-K6 for the same cost (that goes on B-wings and Lambda Shuttles instead of X-wings and Y-wings).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Cocquyt
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmb
It does increase the importance of the "can gunner attack a different target" question.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
But in any case, Fire Control System is like a better R5-K6 for the same cost (that goes on B-wings and Lambda Shuttles instead of X-wings and Y-wings).
This card doesn't say you can't spend the target lock in the same turn.

So presumably you could combine with gunner to have a more powerful second attack if the first misses, and then still get yet another target lock again if you didn't destroy the defender.

(A hypothetical question: Could this could also pair with cluster missiles on a theoretical ship with system upgrades and missiles?)

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
magadizer wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
But in any case, Fire Control System is like a better R5-K6 for the same cost (that goes on B-wings and Lambda Shuttles instead of X-wings and Y-wings).
This card doesn't say you can't spend the target lock in the same turn.

So presumably you could combine with gunner to have a more powerful second attack if the first misses, and then still get yet another target lock again if you didn't destroy the defender.

(A hypothetical question: Could this could also pair with cluster missiles on a theoretical ship with system upgrades and missiles?)

I don't see why not.

This will lead to an interesting debate of which crew is best with Fire-Control System: Weapons Engineer (3 pts) or Gunner (5 pts) ... or one from wave 3?

*edit* just checked and Lambda Shuttle can take 2 crew members, so the "right answer" is (probably) both... especially on Colonel Jendon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
magadizer wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
But in any case, Fire Control System is like a better R5-K6 for the same cost (that goes on B-wings and Lambda Shuttles instead of X-wings and Y-wings).
This card doesn't say you can't spend the target lock in the same turn.

So presumably you could combine with gunner to have a more powerful second attack if the first misses, and then still get yet another target lock again if you didn't destroy the defender.

(A hypothetical question: Could this could also pair with cluster missiles on a theoretical ship with system upgrades and missiles?)

Yeah - we're going to need a better definition of attacking - and the trigger, after you have performed an attack - maybe the entire attack must be resolved before you even get the lock - precluding you from using it.

P.S. - does anyone else get the same result I do, when using google advanced search - and searching for nera dantels and then searching for the exact size of 300x418 pixels?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ravncat wrote:
magadizer wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
But in any case, Fire Control System is like a better R5-K6 for the same cost (that goes on B-wings and Lambda Shuttles instead of X-wings and Y-wings).
This card doesn't say you can't spend the target lock in the same turn.

So presumably you could combine with gunner to have a more powerful second attack if the first misses, and then still get yet another target lock again if you didn't destroy the defender.

(A hypothetical question: Could this could also pair with cluster missiles on a theoretical ship with system upgrades and missiles?)

Yeah - we're going to need a better definition of attacking - and the trigger, after you have performed an attack - maybe the entire attack must be resolved before you even get the lock - precluding you from using it.

P.S. - does anyone else get the same result I do, when using google advanced search - and searching for nera dantels and then searching for the exact size of 300x418 pixels?

"Nera Dantels" is being mentioned in the comments of the page of the pics so google believes it may have something to do with it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ravncat wrote:
magadizer wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
But in any case, Fire Control System is like a better R5-K6 for the same cost (that goes on B-wings and Lambda Shuttles instead of X-wings and Y-wings).
This card doesn't say you can't spend the target lock in the same turn.

So presumably you could combine with gunner to have a more powerful second attack if the first misses, and then still get yet another target lock again if you didn't destroy the defender.

(A hypothetical question: Could this could also pair with cluster missiles on a theoretical ship with system upgrades and missiles?)

Yeah - we're going to need a better definition of attacking - and the trigger, after you have performed an attack - maybe the entire attack must be resolved before you even get the lock - precluding you from using it.

P.S. - does anyone else get the same result I do, when using google advanced search - and searching for nera dantels and then searching for the exact size of 300x418 pixels?

I don't think the definition of "Attack" is an issue. The rule book is pretty clear: in the combat phase each ship may make exactly one attack, and then it goes on to describe in detail what you do when making an attack: pick target, roll dice, etc. Gunner overrides the "one" requirement by letting you make a second attack after a missed attack: "After you perform an attack that does not hit, immediately perform a primary weapon attack. You cannot perform another attack this round."

So the Fire-Control System gives you a target lock right after the first attack that can be spent on the second attack.

Now, if you are in a mission that allows you to put the focus token on another ship, like a senator's shuttle, does the second focus token you get from the Recon Specialist go on your own ship or also on the other ship, or don't you get it at all because there is no way to put an additional token on your own ship?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:

Now, if you are in a mission that allows you to put the focus token on another ship, like a senator's shuttle, does the second focus token you get from the Recon Specialist go on your own ship or also on the other ship, or don't you get it at all because there is no way to put an additional token on your own ship?
Good question. I think you can put it on your own ship. It's still "additional" to the one you placed on the shuttle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Glad to see that Fire Control Systems isn't as ridiculously overpowered as people were hoping it would be for a mere 2 Points, but instead it's a nice option that has its place in some builds.

Recon Specialist, as neat as the card is, seems to be an upgrade solely for Katarn, but only if you really want him and one ally to be able to Focus each turn (still don't see much merit in the 3-pt Crow title).



B-Wings with Recon Specialist + Deadeye will be really amazing and will make better use of Advanced Torpedoes than anyone else. EDIT: Except that I have a terrible memory, as on double-checking it seems like B-Wings can't take a crew member (why was I thinking they could..?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
Recon Specialist, as neat as the card is, seems to be an upgrade solely for Katarn, but only if you really want him and one ally to be able to Focus each turn (still don't see much merit in the 3-pt Crow title).
There are other uses, though I would have to think it though to see if any were worth it.

How about Han+Deadeye+Recon+missiles? Spend a focus to fire missiles, reroll with Han's ability, and still have a focus for modification or to save for defense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slave 1 with Recon, Deadeye, and Adv. Proton Torps. Looks good to me! You can even through a missle on there for good measure to get more from the Deadeye/Recon combo.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lando
msg tools
RobertDD wrote:

I don't think the definition of "Attack" is an issue. The rule book is pretty clear: in the combat phase each ship may make exactly one attack, and then it goes on to describe in detail what you do when making an attack: pick target, roll dice, etc. Gunner overrides the "one" requirement by letting you make a second attack after a missed attack: "After you perform an attack that does not hit, immediately perform a primary weapon attack. You cannot perform another attack this round."

So the Fire-Control System gives you a target lock right after the first attack that can be spent on the second attack.

Now, if you are in a mission that allows you to put the focus token on another ship, like a senator's shuttle, does the second focus token you get from the Recon Specialist go on your own ship or also on the other ship, or don't you get it at all because there is no way to put an additional token on your own ship?
Well I can see how this card would muddy the waters a little bit. Does the Tl tokens come after the entire attack is resolved (all rolls and damage cards, etc.) or right after the attacking ship says "I attack you" and BAM, TL is acquired with all the benefits that the TL can give for that attack including missiles and what-not. I can see this going both ways, but I am more inclines to believe that the TL is acquired as soon as you declare a target and start the "attack" phase so that you can declare, TL, shoot missiles with a focus, and then jet away. That is an insane upgrade if it is the case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Cocquyt
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmb
kamekkusu wrote:
Slave 1 with Recon, Deadeye, and Adv. Proton Torps. Looks good to me! You can even through a missle on there for good measure to get more from the Deadeye/Recon combo.
Throw some Seismic Charges or a Proton bomb in there for more close range fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Cocquyt
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmb
After your perform an attack means after you perform the 7 steps of an attack as defined in the rulebook on page 10.

Quote:
1. Declare Target: The attacker chooses which
enemy ship he wishes to attack.
2. roll attack Dice: The attacker rolls a number
of attack dice equal to his ship’s primary weapon
value (red number), unless using a secondary
weapon (see “Secondary Weapons” on page 19).
3. Modify attack Dice: Players can spend
action tokens and resolve abilities that reroll or
otherwise modify attack dice results.
4. roll Defense Dice: The defender rolls a
number of defense dice equal to his ship’s agility
value (green number).
5. Modify Defense Dice: Players can spend
action tokens and resolve abilities that reroll or
otherwise modify defense dice results.
6. compare results: Players compare the final
attack and defense dice results to determine if
the defender was hit and how much damage it
suffers.
7. Deal Damage: If the defender was hit, it loses
shield tokens or receives Damage cards based on
the damage it suffers.
8. Get your free target lock to shoot them again later.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaravak wrote:
After your perform an attack means after you perform the 7 steps of an attack as defined in the rulebook on page 10.

Quote:
1. Declare Target: The attacker chooses which
enemy ship he wishes to attack.
2. roll attack Dice: The attacker rolls a number
of attack dice equal to his ship’s primary weapon
value (red number), unless using a secondary
weapon (see “Secondary Weapons” on page 19).
3. Modify attack Dice: Players can spend
action tokens and resolve abilities that reroll or
otherwise modify attack dice results.
4. roll Defense Dice: The defender rolls a
number of defense dice equal to his ship’s agility
value (green number).
5. Modify Defense Dice: Players can spend
action tokens and resolve abilities that reroll or
otherwise modify defense dice results.
6. compare results: Players compare the final
attack and defense dice results to determine if
the defender was hit and how much damage it
suffers.
7. Deal Damage: If the defender was hit, it loses
shield tokens or receives Damage cards based on
the damage it suffers.
8. Get your free target lock to shoot them again later.
8.b. If using Weapons Engineer, get another free target lock on another ship so you can shoot it instead (in case this target either gets destroyed or goes out of range, or if you'd just prefer to fire on another ship next turn - or you intend to use Jendon's ability to give one of these target locks away, etc).

Question: If the damage from this attack is enough to destroy the target, does Fire-Control System still trigger? That is, do you get to put a target lock on the target before it is destroyed? This won't matter in most cases, but it does matter when using Weapons Engineer (because Weapons Engineer only gets a second target lock when he acquires the first).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Cocquyt
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:

deStroying ShipS

When the number of Damage cards dealt to a ship
is equal to or greater than its hull value, the
ship is immediately destroyed (faceup and facedown
cards count toward this total). Immediately remove
the destroyed ship from the play area, discard all of
its Damage cards to a faceup discard pile next to
the Damage deck, and return all of its tokens to their
respective supplies.

exception: See “Simultaneous Attack Rule.”


SimultaneouS attack rule

Although ships perform their attacks one at a time,
ships with a pilot skill value equal to the active
ship’s pilot skill value have the opportunity to
attack before being destroyed.
If such a ship would be destroyed, it simply retains
its Damage cards without being removed from the
play area. It may perform an attack as normal during
the Combat phase, although any faceup Damage
cards just dealt to it may affect this attack.
After this ship has had its opportunity to attack this
round, it is immediately destroyed and removed from
the play area.
It sounds like a ship can be removed from the table before it's even done being dealt all the damage cards, so you would not get it. On the other hand, it would make an odd case scenario where you get a target lock to trigger other things only when you destroy a ship with equal pilot skill that has not attacked yet.

The last line in step 7:

Quote:
When the number of Damage cards dealt to a ship
equals or exceeds its hull value (yellow number), that
ship is destroyed (see “Destroying Ships” on page 16).

After resolving the final step, the ship with the next
highest pilot skill value takes its turn resolving the
combat steps.
It sounds like the ships are removed during the attack, so there would be no ship to target lock "After you perform an attack".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too bad you can't put Fire-Control System on Dutch. Unless that's what the new mod card allows.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Attack" is sadly undefined in the rule book. While I'm in the camp that thinks it's the full 1-7 steps (and there's lots of incidental justification for that), there's nothing in the rule book that actually says so. This is a generalized problem with the X-wing rules - the phases are written in a series of steps taken by one ship after the other. Those steps are never given a distinct definition.

For the cards, I like them. Recon Specialist is obviously aimed at Kyle Katarn, but putting it on a Firespray for both offensive and defensive focus each turn has some interesting potential. The Fire Control System may be the nail in poor R5-K6's coffin - I have a hard time seeing a Y-wing with R5-K6 ever being a more appealing missile platform than a B-wing with the FCS.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buhallin wrote:
The Fire Control System may be the nail in poor R5-K6's coffin - I have a hard time seeing a Y-wing with R5-K6 ever being a more appealing missile platform than a B-wing with the FCS.
Sorry, I didn't realize that poor droid was still functional. Let me know when the memorial service is so I can pay my respects.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
magadizer wrote:
Buhallin wrote:
The Fire Control System may be the nail in poor R5-K6's coffin - I have a hard time seeing a Y-wing with R5-K6 ever being a more appealing missile platform than a B-wing with the FCS.
Sorry, I didn't realize that poor droid was still functional. Let me know when the memorial service is so I can pay my respects.
He's been on life support for a while I think that he might have been more useful with the coming wave, mainly with Dutch to help hand out more target locks. There was also some hope that the cheaper Y-wing would make a decent missile platform, and he could help with that. But since there seem to be even better ways to do it now, his brief hope for relevance has faded.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |