Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a chance to play in my second regional today and it was just fun! There were 20 people there at the Games Preserve, which is twice as many as came out to the previous regional. I again brought my favorite Criminal friend Gabe with me and he was supported (though not well) with my Jinteki jukes. Here is how it went.

Round 1
I paired up against Andy from Dayton (I think I’m right there) who was here in Indy with 3 other friends. Gabe made quick work of his HB fast advance and I was able to score a 7-2 win. We then flipped and he ran noise against my Jinteki traps. Two different times he ran with 1 card in his hand on my R&D that still had 2 Snares and two Fetal AIs in it, but never got them, and so ended up surviving with me only scoring 2 points against his Noise deck. So we split the match with 3 points each.

Round 2
David is a local Indy player and a really cool and outgoing guy. Our match took maybe 30 minutes to play. I again went first with Gabe against his Weyland and quickly scored a Government Contracts off his R&D, followed by another GC a few turns later, and then finally got the win 7-0 just being patient not to get tagged and bagged. He then pulled out Noise and let me tell you, this guy knows how to play Noise with Personal Workshop very well. I installed an unprotected Brain Trust on turn one and then scored it on turn 2, to ensure my match win, but other than that I just wasn’t able to do anything against him and got beat 7-2, but took the match.

Round 3
I played Mark, who I played in the last round of the previous regionals in an epic standoff of game that lasted 45 minutes. Yet again I went with Gabe, this time playing against a similar Jinteki deck like mine. This game was really, really close. I ended up sneaking out the win with only a single card left in my heap and just grabbing the final agenda needed. If that had ended up being a PAD Campaign or June Bug or Snare or anything but an agenda, I probably would’ve lost. We switched, he was running Andromeda, but other that a similar deck to my Gabe. However, after hitting a Neural Katana & Snare on a single run, flat-lined and got me my first Jinteki win!

Round 4
I matched up against Wes who have travelled from Illinois to play. He running a Big Ice HB and we really had a duel going. He flipped a Janus 1.0 on me, I took a brain damage, but then a turn later was able to derez it. We kept going back and forth, I Forged Activation Ordered 3 different pieces of ICE on his Archives and eventually was able to put down HQ Interface with Sneakdoor and get in for the win. We switched with him running Chaos Theory and my Jinteki doing everything I could to keep him out. He refused to run on my remotes, but eventually did when I put a Snare behind two ICE, which cost him down to 1 card. A click to add 1 credit and bring my total up to four was enough to double Neural EMP him for the win! Jinteki is a tough to play, especially in tournaments, but it is really satisfying when it works. Wes was a great opponent and I had a good time talking to him about some board games we both play and need to look up Scarab Lords which he suggested.

Round 5
Ah. I was surprised to find myself in 2nd place after sweeping with Gabe and going 2-2 with my corp. Sadly, I was up against the unbeaten in tournaments (seriously, the guy lost his first game ever in a tourney in round 2 today) Jeremy. He and I play quite often, so we know each other pretty well, and I was looking forward to a good match. He was playing Weyland and got a 3 ICE remote going, though I was still forcing him to spend resources to protect his centrals. I did score a GC off of R&D early (I love it when that happens!), but then slowed down a bit, until I eventually scored another GC off R&D yet again after going through ICE. He got through 5 agenda points, when I made a Sneakdoor run and scored a Hostile Takeover for the win. Gabe finished a perfect 5-0! Now we switched and if I could win with Jinteki I’d win the tourney! However, I made a huge mistake turn 1. I put down a Marked Accounts & an agenda and then protected my R&D with a Wall of Ice rather than my HQ not even thinking about Account Siphon! Well, even with Andi he took all my money, then destroyed my Marked Accounts, and just discarded his excess cards. This put me way behind and I never survived, despite scoring a Nisei eventually. Jeremy got the win and the tourney. Good job!

Thoughts
It’s nice to have a well run tourney and this was very well run! I had expected to see more NBN Tag & Bag, but I believe there were only 2 NBN decks there. There were at least 4 Jinteki and a crap ton of Weyland with a decent amount of HB spread around. On the runner side, Noise was by far the majority, with I believe the two Criminal IDs showing up second most and I think a couple Shaper versions. Finally, I was sad to be 1 point behind 2nd place and lose out on the nice ID cards, but was very happy to reach my goal of another Top 8 finish and having a great time playing the game. Now, back to tweaking that Jinteki so I can juke and jive you all at GenCon! Well, at least juke...jives are tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hawks
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job doing so well with Jinteki! Getting second place with the consensus worst corp is quite the achievement. It sucks to make a match-losing mistake like forgetting to Ice HQ vs Criminal, but it sounds like you took it well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was indeed a fun time! I was your second round.

I was undefeated as runner, but went 2-3 with corp - ended up 4th.

That was the first (and probably last) time I run Weyland at a tourney. It was just extremely inconsistent draws all night. Noise was great, especially when no one ran NBN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David - it was great playing against you. I know Jeremy appreciated the Noise pointers you gave him as well at the end of the tourney.

Ben - I actually finished 3rd, but was 2nd going into that final round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Salinas
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Man Vs Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep,
Our Round 5 games were fairly epic. The first game was pretty heartbreaking, I truly I thought I had it locked down once I firmed up R&D, and my Super Remote. Sneakdoor did me in though, and keeping a hand of 5 didn't stop you from picking the only Agenda in my hand. Sucks too because I would have won eventually by placing a 2/3 Agenda behind my Super Remote.

Game 2 was much easier though. As I continue to say, playing Jinteki is your only downfall because you are a very smart LCG player who could WIN tournaments if you went outside Jinteki. Against a smart player, beating Jinteki is simply a waiting game. Each turn I purposefully and methodically concentrated on weeding out your Snares and busting your economy. I knew if I left you with no economy at the end of each turn, your Snares, Junebugs and other tricks had no teeth. Granted, I only hit one snare head on, and discarded a 2nd because you had no money to use it, but playing a slow, paced match against you allowed me to control the entire tempo of the game and control the board. Jinteki can't fast advance well, so you scoring an Agenda is never scary. Running against your unprotected remotes (once per turn) is never scary either, so you can lay out as many as you like, I am still going to hit one or two each turn depending on what I run into.

I don't think that Faction has the cards yet to make it truly tournament ready. Fun yes, winning matches no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think it is close though. Perhaps I should do less of the shell game and more of the pure bluff in a single server and go ahead and install, advance, advance cards. I just don't like having 2 advances on a card, because that is a weak Junebug or an agenda in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.