10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Any good Game stores in NYC? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Palermo
msg tools
Hey guys and gals.

I will be headed into NYC from Canada for the upcoming weekend and was wondering if there are any decent gaming stores that I could check out while the wife is shopping. The focus of a visit will be for SW LCG

My main goal is to try to snap up the new Force Pack add-on, seeing as my comic book store has not got it in yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Compleat Strategist on 33rd St. near the Empire State Building is your only option, but it has just about everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time I was in the Strategist, they had all three force packs. You could also call and ask them to hold onto them for you, if you were motivated to do so -- they're very good about that stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you like good craft brew, right across the street is Rattle n Hum, one of the city's finest tap houses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are paying full price. But they have a good selection of Board games, Warhammer and RPG's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richard
United States
Avon
US
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be a bit too far away, but Myriad Games (based in New Hampshire) has a branch that recently opened on Staten Island (http://www.myriadgames.com/statenisland). I've only been to the 2 locations in NH, but they're great game stores!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
IndianaJohn wrote:
This might be a bit too far away, but Myriad Games (based in New Hampshire) has a branch that recently opened on Staten Island (http://www.myriadgames.com/statenisland). I've only been to the 2 locations in NH, but they're great game stores!

Not only is it a bit of a schlep, but then he'd actually have to go to Staten Island! I kid. Sort of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
I think the Compleat Strategist on 33rd St. near the Empire State Building is your only option, but it has just about everything.

yeah, the Strategist is pretty much a grail destination among ANY game store. Crammed to the rafters with everything you can think of--if it's in print, they probably have it.

And--this may be the best part--there are three waiting chairs at the very front of the store for disgruntled wives/girlfriends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
VanVeen wrote:
yeah, the Strategist is pretty much a grail destination among ANY game store. Crammed to the rafters with everything you can think of--if it's in print, they probably have it.

And--this may be the best part--there are three waiting chairs at the very front of the store for disgruntled wives/girlfriends

I've even been surprised to find out of print games there, still at retail price (ie, much cheaper than the going rates online). Example: I'm pretty sure they still have 2 or 3 copies of Goa on the shelf.

Also, so true about the waiting chairs! I have a picture of my wife and sister-in-law sitting there last time my brother visited from California. Though, usually my wife is exploring the store with me showing me games she thinks we should add to our collection cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Palermo
msg tools
utcarver wrote:
VanVeen wrote:

I've even been surprised to find out of print games there, still at retail price (ie, much cheaper than the going rates online). Example: I'm pretty sure they still have 2 or 3 copies of Goa on the shelf.

Also, so true about the waiting chairs! I have a picture of my wife and sister-in-law sitting there last time my brother visited from California. Though, usually my wife is exploring the store with me showing me games she thinks we should add to our collection cool

Thanks for the advice everyone. I took a visit there with the wife, although she didn't take advantage of the chairs, she just stood in the foyer... disgruntled.

I was pleasantly surprised to see all just how many games they had. I picked up my new force pack (a little more $ than I had planned) and took a quick walk around. Being a Warhammer 40k player too, I was happy to see nicely painted miniatures in a cabinet. Too many times games stores that sell things other than miniatures can have poorly painted ones on display.

The advice was invaluable, thanks. I will be making it a go-to on any more visits to The Big Apple!
May the Force be with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls