Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As above - in the Cleveland area for the next few days, and considering moving back here due to an INCREDIBLE job opportunity.

However, would like to get a feel for the game community in the area. What's thes best store in the area? What kind of Eurogame stores to we have about? Wargames? What kind of game groups? Etc.

Generally, looking more West Side, but curious what all is in the area...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H.

Silver Spring
Maryland
msg tools
As far as I know, there is a decent gaming community in the city - just look for club information on the internet. As far as the game store goes, I'm not sure how much opportunity there is - I ended up going to Comic Heaven in Willoughby in order to get my eurogame fix; they have a limited game selection, but, as most FLGS, are willing to order from a company to the store if requested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
Xander: Though I am not the utmost authority on the subject, I hope I can speak for NE Ohio when I say that we have a growing community of gamers here in Cleveland, as well as some quality game stores.

For groups, there are a number of smaller groups that meet on a regular basis. Two notable groups that meet regularly are the Cleveland Boardgames Meetup group (http://boardgames.meetup.com/38/) which meets weekly at various locations around Cleveland and NGA (which I believe stands for the Northeast Gamers Alliance) that meets biweekly (also at various locations). Generally speaking, the Meetup group plays mainly Euros while the NGA plays wargames (again, this is generally speaking). So you can get your fix for either on a regular basis. Plus, like I stated earlier, there are various smaller groups that meet on a (semi-) regular basis.

As far as game stores go, there's a number of them with a good selection of Euros. I know mainly the stores on the West side (being a Westsider all my life). There are a couple of notable exceptions, however:

I'm Game (Great Northern Mall: decent selection of Euros, more family oriented and tries to provide something for everyone) <---Note: I'm biased towards this one since I work there part-time
WarZone Matrix (Cleveland on Rocky River Drive: large selection of Euros, tons of RPGs, CCGs and minis)
Gamers Haven (Middleburgh Hts, Southland: decent selection of Euros, good selection of mins, a few CCGs)
Kenmore Cards & Comics (Akron: never been myself, though a good friend tells me that they have an awesome selection of Euros at some decent prices)
RC Hobbies (Cleveland Hts.: I'd be remiss to not tell you of Ron -- he owns an online game store (www.hobbiesandgames.com) and allows customers to buy from him and pick up at his house to save on shipping; awesome guy, excellent resource)

Well, I think that's about it. If you have any other questions about the Cleveland gaming scene, shoot me a GeekMail and I'll be happy to answer them for you, Xander!

-Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bookmarked a thread last time ther was a thread about Ohio in general:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/91357

Coach Z summed up the Clevaland Area pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the ones that Zambo listed (less WarZone Matriz, which I have never been at), Gamers Haven is the best all-around game store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diversions in middlefield has the largest selection of German games around, but the store is VERY smokey and is across the street from a concrete plant, so the games all have a thin layer of soot on them. So there you go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, if you're in town now, I'm hosting Friday night. PM me and I'll give you directions (I'm in Cleveland Heights). Would be groovy to have an out-of-towner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zambo wrote:

As far as game stores go, there's a number of them with a good selection of Euros. I know mainly the stores on the West side (being a Westsider all my life). There are a couple of notable exceptions, however:

I'm Game (Great Northern Mall: decent selection of Euros, more family oriented and tries to provide something for everyone) <---Note: I'm biased towards this one since I work there part-time
WarZone Matrix (Cleveland on Rocky River Drive: large selection of Euros, tons of RPGs, CCGs and minis)
Gamers Haven (Middleburgh Hts, Southland: decent selection of Euros, good selection of mins, a few CCGs)
Kenmore Cards & Comics (Akron: never been myself, though a good friend tells me that they have an awesome selection of Euros at some decent prices)
RC Hobbies (Cleveland Hts.: I'd be remiss to not tell you of Ron -- he owns an online game store (www.hobbiesandgames.com) and allows customers to buy from him and pick up at his house to save on shipping; awesome guy, excellent resource)

Seems like a healthy selection of RPG and mini games (LOL - as generally typical ), but certainly plenty of Euros, too.

Of those listed, doing brief web searches, it *seems* the only one that really carries wargames would be 'Matrix Warzone'...that seem about right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily. Gamer's Haven, as mentioned above...has a nifty selection of miniatures, some painted/complete armies for sale, for various games/eras/themes, and the pewter (or whatever) originals.

Plus, the 'Haven has (at last count) about 8 LARGE tables to get your game on...er..on. and a smattering of buildings/ruins for public (careful) use.

Wally, the owner, is a great guy, and generally helpful, as all FLGS owners must be, to qualify for their 'F'.

-ZZ

p.s., if you couldn't tell, I think Gamer's Haven is the best in the Cleveland area, propper. (and no, I don't work there.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

Of those listed, doing brief web searches, it *seems* the only one that really carries wargames would be 'Matrix Warzone'...that seem about right?

Not quite. Gamers Haven also has a decent selection of wargames (forgot that you were into wargames, Xander). Nothing extensive, but a decent selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, gotcha. (Although, FWIW, I've never really considered 'miniatures' = 'wargames'. Miniature games are miniature games, and wargames are hex-and-counter. But, then, I'm being fuddy-duddy for only mid-20s. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't, either (consider minis wargames, I mean). Gamers Haven really does have a decent selection of hex-and-counter wargames.

And I'd like to reiterate Greg's offer, if you're going to be in town; he hosts The Games Project, which meets at his house Friday nights. Becky and I will be going tomorrow night, so if you want to meet Da Coach Z and his wife, we'd love to meet you (ya old fuddy-duddy, you!) !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls