Lost Battles» Forums » General

Subject: Issus refight on new tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
A couple of months ago, I was in a British discount chainstore called Poundland, and I saw that they had a new line of brown, blue or black self-adhesive 30 cm square carpet tiles in packs of three for a pound. I thought that these would be great for constructing Lost Battles tiles for figures, since they are cheap, easy to cut with scissors, lighter than my big 50cm square tiles, and more robust than my 30 cm cork tiles. I bought lots of packs, and constructed the tiles for Issus ready for our game at the Broadside show in Sittingbourne last weekend.

The picture above shows how I made up the tiles. One could simply use the blue tiles for the base layer of water, but I had bought a roll of plastic carpet underlay for a few pounds at a car boot sale, so I cut squares from this instead since it is shiny and equally light. The brown tiles are rather dark, so it took several coats of buff and green paint to make them approximate the colour of our figure bases. The real innovation was adding 8 x 6 cm L shaped pieces under each corner to lock the tiles together and minimise curling. These pieces are cut from other tiles in 10 x 6 cm blocks, yielding 30 from a single tile, and the backing is peeled away except for the exposed tabs so that they stick in place.

We easily managed three refights of the battle with my colleagues' beautiful 28 mm figures, lasting an average of 90 minutes each. The first game saw the Persians leave their defences and attack across the river on their right and centre, with Alexander moving to his centre to counter them and leaving his right centre unengaged. The Persians did well by the coast and shattered some Macedonian horse, but on turn 5 their front line panicked under Alexander's relentless attacks. Some remnants in the rear held on till turn 7 before joining the flight. The game victory count was very close, and the Persians won a very narrow handicap victory by 97 points to 95 due to the losses they had inflicted before breaking. The picture below shows the initial Persian deployment on the completed battlefield, with me in the background (though I umpired all three games and did not take command myself).

The second game developed similarly to the first with an aggressive Persian attack, but this time Alexander pushed forward into the pocket in the Persian left centre zone. The risk paid off when the apprehensive Darius abandoned the field on turn 4, demoralising his army which fled the following turn. The Persians had still done significant damage in the fighting all along the front, but this time the Macedonians won a narrow game victory by 90 points to 83.

The final game was the most historical, with both sides holding back at first and the fighting being limited to Mount Amanus. On turn 3 the Persian horse charged Parmenio across the river, while the Macedonian right and centre attacked across the river in their turn. The Persians suffered from shortage of commands, and had several units sitting idle in their left wing and right rear zones. The quality of Parmenio's horsemen won out on the crowded front by the coast, and on turn 5 he panicked the redundant ranks of enemy horsemen and advanced to pocket Darius's cavalry in the right centre. Darius took the risk of turning against Parmenio's exhausted troopers instead of continuing the frontal fight, but the gamble failed and on turn 6 the bulk of the Persian army fled due to Alexander's fierce attacks on the other flank. Three fresh Greek hoplite units stood firm in the right rear just as at the Granicus, but the Macedonians launched a textbook encirclement and shattered them on turn 8 at the cost of just one more Macedonian unit spent. The Persians had been defeated in detail, and the game victory count put the Macedonians ahead by 104 points to 76, comfortably exceeding the threshold of 19 at this battle and giving Alexander a major game victory.

As I say in the book, Issus illustrates very well the double-edged nature of defensive positions, since their occupants cannot afford to sit passively behind them or they will be defeated piecemeal. The Persians in our refights actually did best when they were most aggressive and crossed the river along a broad front themselves. The constricted frontage of this battlefield was also a great hindrance to the Persians, and even though their horsemen by the coast outnumbered their opponents by 6:1 in terms of raw numbers, only one Persian cavalry unit could actually fight, compared to both units of veteran Thessalians. (Polybius remarks on the impossible crowding of Persian horsemen on this flank.) The open plains at Gaugamela two years later offered much more favourable terrain for the Persian hordes, and it is unfortunate for them that by that time they had lost the solid Greek hoplites who might have resisted the phalanx long enough for the cavalry encirclement to take effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles are beautiful! Issus is a good scenario for showing them due to the interesting terrain, which is one reason I chose it for my earlier session report.

It is nice to see the Persians get at least one game victory, too. I am thinking about adding the results of all reports to the wiki page, but maybe it will get too confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have to visit England just to play on your set. Very impressive yet functional. Well done.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Glad you like them. Here is another picture from the side, showing at the far side where off-table figures are placed and where I sit and use the boardgame tracks to record commands etc. Mark, if there is any chance of you joining other Americans like Peter Perla and Matt Caffrey at the inaugural Connections UK event on September 3-4, do please let us know. Details are at:

http://professionalwargaming.co.uk/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.