Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Thrift [+] Tennessee [+] Memphis [+] [View All]
Flynn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heading up to the Memphis area toward the end of March for a wedding. Hoping to offset the "bordom" by doing a bit of thrifting around the area. Anyone know of any good places to look: antique malls, thrift stores. . . any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance. Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are none... Memphis is the figurative black hole of gaming. It's a pitiful state of affairs cry Stay home. Stay away. Far away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hollihan
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summer Avenue! Start at Summer and Waring (just off Sam Cooper Blvd) and head west. Lots of antique stores, second hand stores, thrift stores, etc. Not always the best of neighborhoods, though, so be watchful.

Continue down Summer to the Parkway. (Summer becomes Parkway, actually, just stay with it.) Turn left (south) at Cleveland and go a few blocks. There are a few antique and charity stores there. Again, watch the neighborhood, though it's not bad.

(You can make a detour here. Follow Cleveland south. Turn right (west again) on Poplar and drive a mile or two until you come to the main Goodwill Store in downtown. Be careful here! This location has a lot of panhandlers and grifters. Watch yourself.)

Follow Cleveland past Poplar to Union Avenue. You can't make a direct left (heading east) onto Union, so some creative driving is in order. More antique stores over the next three miles or so.

Don't forget to ask at each stop about more stores. It's been a while since I've been to the Cleveland area and some of those stores may have closed. I'm sure there's lots out East in the County as well. I would advise staying out of South and North Memphis; be careful in the Southeast around Winchester. I'm sorry if I'm stressing the dangers, but since I don't know you some caution is always advisable. None of these neighborhoods are out-and-out dangerous, though.

Happy hunting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always willing help out a fellow gamer...

...except with this kind of information!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hollihan
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh!!!! How could I forget? If you are in town on the weekend of the 24th - 26th, then you can visit MidSouthCon. (http://www.midsouthcon.org) Full weekend registration is $35, but I think day registration will also be available. The Memphis gaming community will be running all sorts of games all weekend. Do a Yahoo search for the Memphis Strategic Board Games group for the proposed calendar. There are also supposed to be some game companies present. And, of course, the dealer room.

Mmmmmmmmm... dealer room....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
throwingmuse wrote:
There are none... Memphis is the figurative black hole of gaming. It's a pitiful state of affairs cry Stay home. Stay away. Far away.

Hmmm... could that be because people don't participate in gaming here with others? Could be one of the reasons why Memphis is a black hole. Too many special interests I guess... Just wondering...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls