"With the power to rewind time, what would you change? And would it turn out to be a change for the better or worse?"
Alternate history or allohistory (other history) is the exploration of how the world would look today if various changes occurred and history unfolded differently. They are set in a real-world time period, usually during an important historical event but diverge from real-world history in a "what-if" scenerio, taking some of history's most pivotal turning points and presenting a completely different version sometimes based on science and fact but more often on conjecture.
What Counts As Alternate History:
- For Alternate History to be added as theme, it must feature a real world historical event. Games set in a specific time period that not feature an alternate take on a real world event should not use this theme.
- Example: A game about "The conquest of the USA" by the Nazis, should have the Alternate Historical theme.
What Does Not Count As Alternate History:
- Games set in a specific time period that do not feature an alternate take on a real world event should not use this theme. There is a difference between games that are merely set in a specific time period and games that deal with the history from that time period.
- Example: A game about WW-II, starting with the invasion of Poland, where you, playing the Nazis, can invade the USA because you did better than your historical counterpart, is Historical. It should not have the Alternate Historical theme.
- Example: A game about the last 100 days of Napoleon is Historical. When that game also offers a number of "What-if" battles, that game should not get the Alternate Historical theme. The starting premise of the game is history.