|Article Edit | History | Editors|
The marketplace is a service in which you can buy and sell games online. You can list games for sale and buy games others have put up for sale. Please note that you are not buying games directly from VideoGameGeek, but from a private seller. VGG takes a small cut (3% commission fee) from each sale the seller makes.
In order to buy items in the VideoGameGeek Marketplace you must do the following:
How do I protect myself from fraud?
1. Check the Seller's Feedback; Be cautious of sellers with little or no feedback, and take negative comments very seriously. Read feedback comments carefully. If the seller has only made purchases rather than sales, his feedback is not necessarily an indication of his selling reputation.
2. Compare Listings; Search for similar items to see if your item's price is fair-trade. Be suspicious of hard to find items offered at a very low price.
3. Choose PayPal Verified Sellers; If the seller is conducting business via PayPal, check that they are a Verified member of PayPal and has been a PayPal member for at least a couple of months. To check PayPal membership status, go to the "Send Money" tab on PayPal and initiate a payment to the seller. On the "Check the details of your payment" page, before the payment is sent, you'll see the seller's reputation link (e.g. Verified Premier Member) next to his email address. Click the link to see more information about the membership status.
3.5a The seller should not ask the buyer to cover their obligations. The Seller is responsible for paying the Marketplace commission fee and all Paypal seller fees. Per PayPal's terms the seller cannot ask the buyer to pay the fees related to "Goods and Services" directly, though a savvy seller will work them into the price or handling fee (which is fine).
3.5b When using Paypal, always pay using "Goods and Services". This payment method is for transactions related to buying and selling goods and offers the consumer protection from bad deals or potential scams. Be wary if a seller asks you to pay using the "friends & family" method. This option is for "gifting" money to someone and offers no consumer protection should a transaction go awry. Using the latter method for business transactions also defrauds Paypal.
4. Don't Sacrifice Caution for an Impulse Buy; Always shop with a level head. Take the time to research the item and get to know your seller before agreeing to buy. Don't buy if there isn't enough time to check for warning signs. Be especially cautious with high-demand items, particularly around the holidays and if something sounds too good to be true, ask yourself if the information in the item description sounds believable.
5. Be wary of items with delayed shipment; Pay attention to the advised delivery date. Delivery dates further than 20 days after your payment involve more risk.
In order to sell items in the VideoGameGeek Marketplace you must do the following:
How do I sell a game?
How do I pay BoardGameGeek the commission fee?
Geekgold Auctions are run through the GeekBay Forums. In these auctions, users offer games in exchange for money or geekgold. The bids on these auctions are often used to determine the current 'exchange rate' between GG and the USD.
In the GeekBay Forums users can sell their GeekGold for real world currency. The transaction is usually made through PayPal or some other method agreed upon by either or both the buyer and the seller. The rate you choose to buy or sell GeekGold at is completely up to you. There are no official rules for the selling or buying of GG because, as far as the site is concerned, geekgold has no cash value.
(Back to User Guide)
|[What Links Here]|