Game series of the Great Battles of the American Civil War, often abreviated to GBACW which covers basically American Civil War (1861-65) battles on a regimental scale. Additionally battles in Mexico are also depicted with the same scale and system (American Mexican War 1846-48 and Second Franco-Mexican War 1861-67).
Originally developed by Richard H. Berg, the game system evolved from Terrible Swift Sword: Three Days at Gettysburg (SPI, 1976) over several decades and spanning many design variations from many game companies. Each game uses a common set of Standard Rules and a unique set of Exclusive rules.
Main BGG links:
Russ Gifford (Russ G.) has produced an excellent 10 part Powerpoint tutorial for this game series. It can be downloaded from the Files section of TSS. Direct links to the files:
3. Series Games by Publisher
- SPI (Simulations Publications, Inc.)
- Terrible Swift Sword (Gettysburg), 1976
- Stonewall (Kernstown), 1978
- Bloody April (Shiloh), 1979
- Pea Ridge, 1980
- Drive on Washington (Monocacy Junction), 1980
- Wilson's Creek (Wilson's Creek: The West's First Fight, August 10, 1861), 1980
- Cedar Mountain, 1981
- Jackson at the Crossroads (Cross Keys and Port Republic), 1981
- Corinth, 1981
- 3W (World Wide Wargames)
- SDC (Simulations Design Corporation)
- Simulation Design, Inc.
- GMT Games
- Three Days of Gettysburg (1st edition), 1995
- River of Death (Chickamauga), 1999
- Red Badge of Courage (First and Second Bull Run/Manassas), 2001
- Three Days of Gettysburg (2nd edition), 2000
- Gringo! (Mexican War, 1846-1848), 2004
- Three Days of Gettysburg (3rd edition), 2004
- Battle of Churubusco (Gringo! minigame), 2005
- Battles With the Gringos (Gringo! expansion), 2008
- Dead of Winter (II) (Murfreesboro/Stones River), 2009
- Twin Peaks (Cedar Mountain/South Mountain), 2014
4. Battles Games by chronology
4.1 ACW battles Games by chronology
1st Bull Run - July 21, 1861 First Blood: The 1st and 2nd Battles of Manassas / Red Badge of Courage
Wilson's Creek - August 10, 1861 Wilson's Creek: The West's First Fight, August 10, 1861
Pea Ridge - March 7-8, 1862 Pea Ridge: The Gettysburg of the West March 7-8 1862
Kernstown - March 23, 1862 Stonewall: The Battle of Kernstown, March 23, 1862
Shiloh - April 6-7, 1862 Bloody April: The Battle of Shiloh, 1862
Cross Keys - June 8, 1862 Jackson at the Crossroads: Cross Keys & Port Republic, June 8-9, 1862
Port Republic - June 9, 1862 Jackson at the Crossroads: Cross Keys & Port Republic, June 8-9, 1862
Cedar Mountain - August 9, 1862 Twin Peaks
2nd Bull Run - August 28–30, 1862 First Blood: The 1st and 2nd Battles of Manassas / Red Badge of Courage
South Mountain - September 14, 1862 Twin Peaks
Antietam/Sharpsburg - September 17, 1862 A Gleam of Bayonets: The Battle of Antietam
Corinth - October 3-4, 1862 The Battle of Corinth: Standoff at the Tennessee, October 3-4, 1862
Stones river - December 31, 1862 to January 3, 1863 Dead of Winter (first edition) / Dead of Winter (second edition)
Kelly's Ford - March 17, 1863 Rebel Sabers: Civil War Cavalry Battles
Brandy Station - June 9, 1863 Rebel Sabers: Civil War Cavalry Battles
Trevillians Station - June 11-12, 1863 Rebel Sabers: Civil War Cavalry Battles
Dutch Roads (side Battle during Gettysburg) - July 3, 1863 Rebel Sabers: Civil War Cavalry Battles
Gettysburg - July 1–3, 1863 Terrible Swift Sword: Battle of Gettysburg Game/ The Three Days Of Gettysburg (first edition) / The Three Days of Gettysburg (second edition) / Three Days of Gettysburg (third edition)
Chickamauga - September 19-20, 1863 River of Death: Battle of Chickamauga, September 19-20, 1863
Pleasant Hill - April 9, 1864 Pleasant Hill: The Red River Campaign
Brice's Crossroads - June 10, 1864 The Horse Soldiers: Forrest at Bay
Tupelo - July 14, 1864 The Horse Soldiers: Forrest at Bay
Monocacy Junction - July 9, 1864 Drive on Washington: The Battle of Monocacy Junction, July 9, 1864
Cedar Creek - October 19, 1864 The Guns of Cedar Creek
4.1 Mexico battles Games by chronology
Palo Alto - May 8, 1846 Battles with the Gringos, Mexico 1846-62
Monterey - September 20-23, 1846 Gringo!
Buena Vista -February 22-23, 1847 Gringo!
Cerro Gordo -April 18, 1847 Gringo!
Contreras - August 19-20, 1847 Battles with the Gringos, Mexico 1846-62
Churubusco - August 20, 1847 Battle of Churubusco
El Molino del Rey - September 9, 1847 Gringo!
Chapultepec - September 13, 1847 Gringo!
Puebla - May 5, 1862 Battles with the Gringos, Mexico 1846-62
Main Content Index | Game Series Index