standard deck playing card games
A "standard" deck of playing cards consists of 52 Cards in each of the 4 suits of Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, and Clubs. Each suit contains 13 cards: Ace, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Jack, Queen, King.
Historically, this is the French or Anglo-American deck. Other nations (e.g. Germany, Italy, Spain) have their own traditional decks which vary in suit and face values.
|The suit of Spades:
|The suit of Hearts:
|The suit of Diamonds:
|The suit of Clubs:
|A traditional deck of cards usually also includes two Jokers:
There are a multitude of games that can be played with a standard deck of playing cards or a modified deck of playing cards. The games that have an entry on BGG are listed below. For other games an excellent website is Pagat. Traditional Card Games is a placeholder for all games not in the BGG database.
Many of the games on BGG are part of the Traditional Card Games family of games.
- Baccarat - Eight standard decks shuffled together from a Card Shoe
- Bezique - Two standard decks with 2's through 6's removed
- Blackjack - Eight standard decks shuffled together from a Card Shoe
- Bridgette - Standard deck with 3 Colons (Jokers can be used)
- Canasta - Two full decks shuffled together with Four Jokers
- Durak - Standard deck with the 2's through 5's removed
- Écarté - use 7-A of each suit
- Euchre - Standard deck with the 2's through 8's removed
- 500 - Standard deck composition varies depending on number of players. Special 64 Card deck with 11's, 12's and 2 13's also used.
- Hand and Foot - use 4-5 full decks including jokers
- Nertz (Pounce) - one full deck per player
- Panguingue (Pan) - Eight standard decks with the 8's, 9's, and 10's removed
- Pinochle - Two standard decks with 2's through 8's removed. Double Pack also used.
- Piquet - use 7-A of each suit
- Preference - Standard deck with the 2's through 6's removed
- Skat - use 7-A of each suit
- Watten - use 7-A of each suit
Standard Deck Playing Card games can also be categorized by the main mechanism.
- Dueling Nobles - uses a standard deck plus some d6s and counters; plays like a CCG
- Tripoley - uses a standard deck with a special board/playing mat
- Rivers - uses a standard deck with a unique card laying mechanic
Popular GeekLists discussing Card Games