- 5 Individual Player Boards
- 1 Governor Card
- 8 Role Cards (Settler, Mayor, Builder, Craftsman, Trader, Captain, 2 Prospectors)
- 1 Gameboard
- 49 Building Tiles (5 Large Violet, 24 Small Violet, 20 Non-Violet Production)
- 54 Doubloons (46 x "1", 8 x "5")
- 58 Island Tiles (8 Quarry Tiles, 50 Plantation Tiles (8 coffee, 9 tobacco, 10 corn, 11 sugar, 12 indigo))
- 1 Colonist Ship
- 100 Colonists (brown round wooden markers)
- 1 Trading House
- 50 Goods (9 Coffee (dark brown), 9 Tobacco (light brown), 10 Corn (yellow), 11 Sugar (white), 11 Indigo (blue))
- 5 Cargo Ships
- 50 Victory Point Chips (32 x "1", 18 x "5")
- Rule Booklet
- Tropic Euro - 15m (Tropic Euro has an in-game guided tutorial that assumes zero knowledge of the board game)
- Feuerteufel -- Dutch website supporting live play and asynchronous play-by-web, with notification emails. For non-Dutch speakers/readers, using Google Translate (e.g., with Google Chrome or with the Google Toolbar in Firefox, or even through translate.google.com) works pretty well!
- Tropic Euro -- real time with people or AI
Game balance fixes
The following changes should be made to the official rules in order to create a more balanced game and one which gives each player an (almost) equal chance of winning:
- The prices of the Factory and University buildings should be swapped so that the Factory costs 8 doubloons and the University costs 7 doubloons. (Source: Interview with Andreas Seyfarth)
- Any players that start with a corn plantation should start with 1 doubloon less than the players that start with an indigo plantation. (Proof/discussion)
Two player variant
An official variant has been released by Alea (File), although other popular variants also exist (Overview of two player variants), especially the Craftsman Angst variant (Source).
This game is #7 in the Alea big box series.
For editions of the game that contain the the noble and building expansions, see Puerto Rico (with two expansions).
For editions of the game that contain the building expansion, see Puerto Rico + Expansion I.